What's new

Some info about heat and fan

kundas1

I can tell you without a doubt that my SP3 does NOT suffer from any fan or heat problems... so far my experience has been amazing! so don't believe everything you read on the net...

mitchellvii

My i5 never gets above 80C (most times far less) and the fan only kicks on when something in the background is churning the CPU such as a download or update. The fact this machine can run a i5 CPU 98% of the time with no fan running is a marvel of modern technology.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can tell you without a doubt that my SP3 does NOT suffer from any fan or heat problems... so far my experience has been amazing! so don't believe everything you read on the net...
I'll bet they also claimed to be a French Model and that undervolting was the answer. :)

FlySwatter

From the article:
“Additional damage(s) may occur, in my case MS SP3 would overheat causing the system to display a thermometer, shut down and burnout a few pixels. "
That's quite a claim.

OP
S

sleith001

pure crap, that page is always attacking MS.
One person saw the windows installer working weird for x reason in his machine and now this page is claiming that's the cause of the "heat issues".

??? I don't see any heating or fan issue myself. I also find it hard to understand that too many people here are even talking about it. But I brought up the link just in case someone really had the issue, it may help. I know the source is not really credible, most of time they copy things around the web, but just in case.

Rowan

My surface gets very hot sometimes. So much so that it almost burns my hand. I think this is because I have the 4gb I5 rather than the 8Gb I5. But I am not sure. I can't return it to best buy for the upgrade as it is past 3 months since I got the Pro 3 (which I love outside of the heat issue). The 4gb version can get up to 70-80% pretty easily. I notice it mostly when I am running off battery and using my nook app. After an hour or two of reading it is scorching hot.

Anyone think Microsoft would let me pay for the 8gb version and take my 4gb back? I am almost certain that is the difference.

malberttoo

Hi Rowan, welcome.

Have you installed all the latest updates from Windows Updates? The last one that came out specifically changed some things that most people have noticed their SP3's running much cooler.

Rowan

I have all of the latest updates unless there is one that came out in the last 2 days (my last update) or if the file is manual.

kundas1

rowan I have the same version as you and it def isn't the reason for it heating up as MINE never heats up... maybe yours has a little defect in it and that's why its heating up, or try a factory restore and that might get the bugs out....