Some keys stop working then work again for no reason

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by Mike T clark, Jan 8, 2019.

?

I need a new keyboard?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, you need to x y and z

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mike T clark

Mike T clark New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I have a bizarre issue with my pro 4 surface keyboard. Both shift keys, numbers 7 8 and 9, r, t, and the del key do not work all the time. Numbers will sometimes work if I press and hold as do the r and t. However, for no reason at all they will starting working like normal for a while then stop working again after a few minutes.

This happened a week ago and very suddenly, although the r and t have only just decided to fail too.

I pried some keys off to see if there was damage, but it looked find, no evidence of spillage or some obstructing the keys, just a little dust.

Sticky keys is not on, nor are filter keys. The language is correct as is the keyboard layout.

I rebooted, nothing.

I reset windows, hoping that any program I installed, which maybe causing an issue, would be removed and I would get my keys back. It did nothing.

So, I'm stumped. Idk if the keyboard is just got a short life span and after a few years it's just dying. Anyone had this before, or know what it could be. Is it just I need a new keyboard?

2. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Find a friend with a Surface keyboard. Borrow it for 5 minutes. See if it works. Isolate the problem to either your keyboard or your computer. Then decide next step.

3. jott27

jott27 Member

An oddball suggestion: Try to use different browsers and see if problem is with every one browsers.