What's new

Sorry to start like this - Sb keeps saying attached

OP
Y

ykmike

Thank you, everalm I have been there both logged in and just putting my serial number in (SN checked by support so no the keyboard unit) and I get the same result every time: The recovery image for your device isn't available for download through this page. Please contact us for help. I did contact them for help and they were going to sent a usb but then it was going to take a week so they decided return the unit was best option BUT failed to send return labels! (Ok technically not failed but 24 hours in to a 5-10 minute wait)

I have found one really useful bit of software the SoftwareRepairTool here:
' Fix common Surface problems using the Software Repair Tool '

Now running that has got me back to what seems a working system (really wish I hadn't been so hasty doing a reload now - but I thought it worth a go as I thought it was going back).

4 hours on 'support' calls it is dreadful

Mike

OP
Y

ykmike

Ah very interesting (Thanks for asking.)– No It hasn't done the attached trick for a couple of days, which sort of confirms it is a software type issue, certainly seems not to be hardware

Also has the updates as before:
Update for Windows KB3150513
Security update KB4013429
Security for Adobe Flash
Update for Windows KB4013418
Update for Windows KB3211320
Update for Windows KB3199209

My current plan is to try to create a recovery disk (so I can get back here) but do I need to?
Turn off the Bit locker and try to recover my image – then run the software fix tool if needed

OP
Y

ykmike

This is where I am now; My 'attached issue' reoccured this morning, at this point the vol down also made the computer shut down.

I bought a new usb drive (64Gb usb3) but was still unable to make a recovery drive.

I turned bit locker off for C: and did a image restore from an WindowsImageBackup that I created before my issue started, this did complete although it reported an error. The resulting system is working it has restored my programs and data that was wiped with the new install yesterday.

I have set wifi to a metered connection (to stop further updates)

My present update status is:

Security for Adobe Flash
Update for Windows KB4013418
Update for Windows KB3211320
Update for Windows KB3199209

I guess I will see how this works for a while. Thank you for encouragement, support and sympathetic words.

OP
Y

ykmike

Update:

After a brief period the problem cam back with a vengeance, with the keyboard attached I had just15second between attached notifications (less when you realise the keyboard needs to initialise) totally unworkable, only 'problem I could find was a possible windows update database corruption.

I ran
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
SFC.exe /Scannow
followed by the software repair tool
This cleared the 'possible' error but I was stuck without a keyboard.

Yet more time on to Microsoft support and waiting. But following my email today I received the return labels so I am packing it off to Microsoft (hurrah) tomorrow.

Oh, I am so looking forward to it being fixed, and becoming a Surface Book user again.

jonint

I'm sorry to break it to you and any fellow readers but it is bad hardware from Microsoft. I have had 3 replacements for my surface book and everyone of them have had the same exact problem with thinking that the screen is being detached. This happened most frequently when adjust the angle of the screen when connected, but will also start occurring randomly if it hasn't already. This will result crashing programs that need the base attached every time. I bought the top of the line version when the surface book was new and bought the extended warranty and had the replacements over the past 2 years and it hasn't changed.