What's new

Solved SP 3 Screen Freezing Often/ Reset Computer

I have a SP 3 and having big issues with screen freezing, needing to restart several times to get it to work. This morning I needed to reset the computer. Windows is updated and last month I had it evaluated by the Microsoft Store in Natick, Mass and they advised that all is fine, even though it did freeze up on them and they saw how FB had to be reset a few times. I have the Surface Pro running on Windows 10.

What is going on?

Stephen

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What version of Windows 10 are you using, Stephen? Settings, System, About ...

Also, tell us more about the freeze or restart. Does the keyboard ever quit working even though the touchscreen seems to work fine? Do you get sounds like devices are disconnecting or re-connecting while this is happening.

OP
S

Stephen Rogerson

What version of Windows 10 are you using, Stephen? Settings, System, About ...

Also, tell us more about the freeze or restart. Does the keyboard ever quit working even though the touchscreen seems to work fine? Do you get sounds like devices are disconnecting or re-connecting while this is happening.

I am running Windows 19.04, the keyboard sometimes needs to be reconnected to the device (physically) and yes if it stops working the touch screen is operable. The main issue is the screen freezing up. No problem with the sound. Today was very bad with having to reboot 5 times and then reset the computer.

Thank you,

Stephen

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well it sounds like you have a dirty/debris-obstructed keyboard port. A poor or intermittent connection is likely your culprit.

Blow out and clean both sides of the port. Apply a little isopropyl alcohol to a cotton swab and gently dab (do not drag) the connections. Plug the keyboard in frontwards and backwards a few times.

This happened to my Surface Pro 3 in 2017. I became convinced that something serious was going on with my hardware. Yes, it was hardware, but the problem was cured as above, in 2 minutes.

Let us know ...

OP
S

Stephen Rogerson

Well it sounds like you have a dirty/debris-obstructed keyboard port. A poor or intermittent connection is likely your culprit.

Blow out and clean both sides of the port. Apply a little isopropyl alcohol to a cotton swab and gently dab (do not drag) the connections. Plug the keyboard in frontwards and backwards a few times.

This happened to my Surface Pro 3 in 2017. I became convinced that something serious was going on with my hardware. Yes, it was hardware, but the problem was cured as above, in 2 minutes.

Let us know ...

Hi,

I tried cleaning the ports twice yesterday afternoon and is a much better this morning. I did not use the computer after cleaning the ports yesterday. I just shut it off and cleaned it per your advise.

When I turned it on this morning, came on quickly with no issues. It is now very fast and operable without any issues to speak of.

Thank you,

Stephen

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent! Something to remember is that the ports are in the vicinity of magnets. The downside of magnetic-assist connectors is that tiny metal shavings (which are common in dust) are attracted to them.

OP
S

Stephen Rogerson

Excellent! Something to remember is that the ports are in the vicinity of magnets. The downside of magnetic-assist connectors is that tiny metal shavings (which are common in dust) are attracted to them.

Okay! I will remember your guidance on this. I plan on repeating the cleaning of the posts tomorrow to make sure all is good. The computer is working well and appreciate the support and advice.

Thank you,

Stephen

OP
S

Stephen Rogerson

Things are much better with my Surface Pro 3 but having some issue when on FB and need to refresh pages? Any thought on why this is happening?