What's new

SP2 blinking orange light - I need an answer for any ***** things

gaugauvn

Well, I have just experienced the secret blinking orange LED light inside the right vent of my SP2. I've been playing Attila Total War for a while, then checking my facebook for some minutes. Then I put the device to sleep. Then:
1. The screen would not turn on;
2. Type cover's light turns on when I hit it;
3. The LED light of my external HDD is still on;
4. There's a blinking orange LED light inside the right vent like a bomb-timer. It made my heart explode like ****
I've done 2-button restart - not working; kept pushing the start button for 1 minute - the same; then I removed everything attached to the device (type cover, external HDD, charger) and pushed the start button for 1 minute and finally it worked.
Well, fortunately it worked as nothing has happened, and the blinking orange light disappeared. But I wanna raise a serious question here: What the h*** has just happened to my device?
I've experienced an would-never-turn-on and phantom touch SP2, and got a replacement from Microsoft that i'm using now (thanks for that). But sometimes the phantom touch visits me again, and now I have blinking orange light. And guess what - I could not find on the huge Internet any answer to any of those - the dead device, the phantom touch or the orange light. The only thing that exists is some tricks. Microsoft never tells us what's what, so we never know whether it's a simple issue or not. I'm so bothered by the fact that those pains in the *** could visit me one day, especially the never-turn-on symptom.
I'm not living in the US, so I hate it when I have to send the device back to the US and wait for a replacement for some months (because we could not send and receive goods from abroad safely and directly). And now I'm planing on buying a new SP, but even the luxury Surface Book got the same symptoms and Apple could not offer anything I like. Such a dilemma.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@gaugauvn,

Sorry about this trouble, and about the problems getting service from outside the USA

You may have a video card failure. A look around the Web shows that gamers sometimes have experienced this from either a defective SP2, or from connecting video equipment that is poorly grounded, or has spikes from dirty power supply. Yes, for the latter case, the SP2 should guard against these things, but this may give you a clue as to what is happening.

Let us know ...

OP
G

gaugauvn

@gaugauvn,

Sorry about this trouble, and about the problems getting service from outside the USA

You may have a video card failure. A look around the Web shows that gamers sometimes have experienced this from either a defective SP2, or from connecting video equipment that is poorly grounded, or has spikes from dirty power supply. Yes, for the latter case, the SP2 should guard against these things, but this may give you a clue as to what is happening.

Let us know ...
I'm so happy to see your post. So what should I do now (on my own - I don't think that there's MS Customer Service in Vietnam)? As far as I know, the screen of SP2 is glued to the frame so how to clean the dirty power supply?
Should I continue playing game on my weekend or it's the games that cook my SP2?
If I got another defective SP2, then it's my destiny and no more question.
Could you make it clear about "connecting video equipment" because it's been almost a year since my last connecting to TV screen (watching some miniseries on my Tet holidays).
And is there any suggestion on phantom touch?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If your power supply outside the SP2 has been reliable without surges, and you have not been connecting to external displays, but you still see the orange light from inside, then your SP2 is likely defective.

For the "phantom touch", make sure "Taps" is turned off on your touchpad.

OP
G

gaugauvn

If your power supply outside the SP2 has been reliable without surges, and you have not been connecting to external displays, but you still see the orange light from inside, then your SP2 is likely defective.

For the "phantom touch", make sure "Taps" is turned off on your touchpad.
thank you very much