What's new

SP2 Owners: Satisfied or Regret Upgrade to SP3

dstrauss

Best decision I made in my life from a technology perspective....SP3 totally worth it for me...

I'm in 100% with Jeff. My SPro 2 was good, but my SPro 3, after only 27 days, is the single best technology investment I have made since my first laptop in 1986 - a Toshiba T1100 Plus. Understand that I am NOT a gamer, CAD user, nor RAW photo editor (although that is coming), but given that caveat, in a nutshell:

1. Wickedly fast and responsive
2. As thin, light, and portable as my original iPad 1 - UNTHINKABLE for an ultrabook
3. 12" 3:2 is awesome (as is the higher resolution)
4. DROOL WORTHY DESIGN (Apple envy/lust is finally exorcised from my soul)
5. Kickstand - OMG - why isn't this standard on ALL tanlets
6. EXCELLENT handwriting support (I'll leave drawing to the artists and the Wacom debate)
7. Best ultra-portable keyboard design EVER
8. Near flawless peripheral attachment - my dual 2560x1440 monitors connect and display correctly every time, along with my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, USB hub brings up all attachments

So........YES.......it is the best upgrade decision I have ever made, and best computer purchase to date.

kodos

The SP3 fixes all of the issues I had with the SP2, especially for productivity work:
  • Better kickstand
  • Better keyboard
  • Better trackpad!! I don't feel like I have to lug a mouse everywhere.
  • Better screen. The screen is phenomenal. The bigger size and higher resolution is much better.
  • Better aspect ratio. I don't know who the cabal is that has hoodwinked people into thinking that 1920x1080p is a good aspect ratio for doing anything besides movies are, but they seem to have brainwashed everyone into thinking that's a good aspect ratio. Good for Microsoft and Apple for staying away from it. I hated the aspect ratio on the SP2. I can finally work on this thing.
  • Better weight - I can hold it now with one hand without straining myself ;)

Cons:
  • I don't know if I like the pen. I haven't used it as much as the Wacom pen (I ended up getting a nice Wacom Bamboo Feel pen on the SP2).
  • Power management - my hope is that firmware fixes are upcoming to help stabilize battery life, and so forth.
  • Wifi quirks - Better with Wednesday's update, still monitoring.
  • The fan seems to come on more often than the SP2. Hopefully, again - a firmware quirk.
  • Pricey. I just bought a SP2, and then spending the money on a SP3 was a little hard to swallow. That said, I gave my SP2 to my oldest son, who loves it (he is homeschooled).
I would absolutely upgrade again - though hopefully not for over a year ;)

bamaster

I'm not sure how anyone can say the keyboard is the best in any category. It will always be this device's crutch. Its thinness, if anything, is a problem. It's too top heavy, which in my opinion, is at odds with lapability. I didn't like using it in my lap or in my bed. I would have to put extra pressure on my palms to keep it stable. It still fell down all the time. Pinched myself pretty good a few times with the kickstand trying to save it. And the clackity sound made it feel cheap.

It's funny because I didn't mind the SP2 experience, I still have it. Maybe because it was smaller I didn't try positions I would in a clamshell? Certainly typing on a flat surface is better. But as soon as I propped it up, I hated it. But you had to do it to use on your lap/bed.

I'll give it another chance with Braodwell. Hopefully it won't get as hot and they offer a better keyboard. The race to thinnest/lightest is interesting and I'm all for it. But until they can offer a better keyboard experience, it will never replace my laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon).

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have one yet but surely they're is a limit to how good the keyboard can possibly be and still also be a thin and light cover....!!! As far as I can see Microsoft have made the best of the design to serve both purposes. There's no reason you can't use a different keyboard for a better experience. Perhaps Microsoft might make a keyboard dock similar to one I had for my galaxy tab... Not very portable but as good as a proper keyboard but that actually attaches to the surface holding it up like a laptop without needing the kickstand.

...or if you're that worried get a clamshell laptop if that's what is needed for your purposes. Trying to be all things to all people will always lead to disappointment for some but as far as I can see the Surface pro 3 is the best designed all in one ever.

mtalinm

I took my sp3 back because it was really buggy - keyboard stopped working many times, screen wasn't responsive, needed to reboot every couple of days. also, battery life seemed worse than SP2. worst thing was that the fan fired up all the time, even while just running office, whereas SP2 only uses fan when driving external monitors. hoping that the recent firmware fixes will take care of those things, then I might try again.

dRuEFFECT

i'm seriously considering selling my SP2 for a SP3... For those of you that traded up, does anyone know if there's an easy way to migrate the installation so i don't have to reinstall and reconfigure everything?

BillJ

Sounds like some people really appreciate the SP3, others find that it does not meet their expectations. This is all good.
What variety we have today!
Technology is not a zero sum game, in which one device needs to best another in order to be of service.
The SP3 is not the perfect solution for everyone.
But I appreciate the SP3 as a leap forward in technological execution for personal computing.
Everyone will ultimately benefit from this.

dstrauss

I'm not sure how anyone can say the keyboard is the best in any category....

Ok - read my comment #7 again:

"Best ultra-portable keyboard design EVER"

If you are comparing it to standard keyboards on the X-1, Yoga, or other ultrabooks, it is not as good. If you compare it to most detachable keyboards, it is as goo if not better than most, particularly those that "bulk up" the entire device - whether a Windows tablet or iFad. if you want something to be there, and be a light weight cover, nothing compares. It is only an "in-between" item, not for you to sit at your desk for 8 hours pounding away the next great American novel (or 1 millionth cubicle drone report being prepared in corporations across America that day) - that's why you have access to USB or BT keyboards.

malberttoo