What's new

SP2 to SP3, would imaging work?

sockfish

I finally caved and ordered a SP3 and currently have a SP2. Instead of dealing with installing all my programs over, I was thinking I could just image the SP2 drive into the SP3 since the hardware is pretty similar. Only thing different is the Ntrig pen I believe.

Am I missing any other complications?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't do it....the Architecture is so very diffrent, especially Power Management and Motherboard....Pen is the minor diffrence.

grumpy

I finally caved and ordered a SP3 and currently have a SP2. Instead of dealing with installing all my programs over, I was thinking I could just image the SP2 drive into the SP3 since the hardware is pretty similar. Only thing different is the Ntrig pen I believe.

Am I missing any other complications?
Give it a go. You might want to have the SP3 driver pack on hand. I have found Windows to be fairly tolerant of fundamental hardware changes (e.g. changing out motherboards). At worst, it doesn't work out and you have to refresh the device.

OP
S

sockfish

Very happy to report that the imaging was successful! Windows did a great job at porting everything over. The only thing that needed a manual installation was the ethernet adapter, windows capacitive button, and something else.

All my programs work perfectly except for one that needed activation.

Will report back if anything funny comes up.