What's new

SP2 Updates - Are you kidding?

Do you think any generation ofthe Surface Pro Tablet is a viable business solution?

• Total voters

Jane B

I have had my SP2 tables for more than 6 months and I have issues with how updates are performed. I've found that every time there's an update pending, IE starts to misbehave and I innocently think it's time to restart my computer only to find out there are updates and I am stuck.

Today after I rebooted my SP2 told me there were 26 (!!!) updates to run. It started at 2:10 p.m. and did not finish until 9:45 p.m. Once it rebooted IE still didn't work as it should and I found there were another 17 updates to run, which fortunately took only 5 minutes. BTW, I have a 10MBPS DSL line so connectivity was not the issue.

This kind of coopting of my tablet is absolutely unacceptable and makes me believe the SP is not a viable business solution. You put me out of commission for 7.5 hours today. Microsoft is out of its mind if they think this is acceptable to their customers.

GoodBytes

Sorry, to hear that, but you are alone on this one. IE works great for me on my Surface. The Surface Pro is a PC.
Keep in mind that your problem is software related. If you have installed software that has been poorly programed and changed files it should not resulting in breaking other software, than Microsoft can't help you out.

If you refresh Windows (meaning you wipe it clean and re-install Windows, via PC Settings > Recovery), and do all the updates one after another until it is done, without installing any other software, I am sure it will work great.

While I am not going to admit that the Surface Pro line is a perfect device, as it isn't, the issue you specifically mentioned isn't related to it. If you plan to purchase a bunch of them for your business, I would recommend to wait for the Surface Pro 4. Microsoft seam to polish more and more, and learn from its mistakes, every generation of the product. We have to remember that Microsoft is new in making physical systems such as the Surface/Surface Pro line. It is incredible how much power they were able to put inside this small form factor device, and have decently great battery life for a second or third try (depending if you are looking at the Pro 2 or Pro 3).

We know nothing about the Surface Pro 4, but they are high chances it will be revealed with Windows 10 in 2015.

In a business environment, I would personally suggest to keep them in limited number. If the employee wants it/need it, sure I would get it, as there is nothing better on the market. But ordering 1 for every employee whether they care or not, as a mobility platform... I would wait on that.

Last edited:

Philtastic

Problem is on your end. Updates almost always take only 1-5 minutes to download and install and I haven't had IE misbehave. You probably have a) some program that you've installed that's causing your system to choke, b) you've got a virus that is interfering with the normal functioning of your device, c) you have somehow corrupted Windows which causes errors, thus making Windows update and IE run funny, and/or d) your hardware has been damaged. Best first solution is to do what Goodbytes suggested and do a Windows refresh which is basically a reinstallation of Windows without wiping your whole drive, thus you don't lose your documents and other files (although it's still a good idea to backup your important files). Contrary to what Goodbytes said, however, I would just install all available updates at the same time rather than one by one since, if your hardware is working correctly, it should succeed at installing all the updates simultaneously. After installing updates and restarting, check for updates again and repeat the process until no updates can be found. If everything works fine after that, start reinstalling your software one by one to hopefully determine what caused the problems in the first place.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You certainly have options as to how updates work even without using WSUS to deliver updates in a corporate environment. You can set it so it only notify you of updates or download them and notify you so you can install them when you want. Sorry you didn't choose wisely. If you have weak bandwidth you probably just want the notification because this is one area where I disagree with what MS views as a background process.

Updates downloading in the background DO currently interfere with system performance particularly IE but they should not. A true BACKGROUND process would not cause problems while you're using the system; are you listening MS?
Unfortunately downloading updates is NOT the background process it should be however, You do have control over when this happens you just need to exercise that control.

Last edited:

leeshor

Personally I set my Windows not to automatically do anything with updates. I do it on my own schedule, typically the last or first week of the month. It will never interfere with what I'm doing and I'm less likely to have issues or to get a patch that's faulty.

OP
J

Jane B

Sorry, to hear that, but you are alone on this one. IE works great for me on my Surface. The Surface Pro is a PC.
Keep in mind that your problem is software related. If you have installed software that has been poorly programed and changed files it should not resulting in breaking other software, than Microsoft can't help you out.

If you refresh Windows (meaning you wipe it clean and re-install Windows, via PC Settings > Recovery), and do all the updates one after another until it is done, without installing any other software, I am sure it will work great.

While I am not going to admit that the Surface Pro line is a perfect device, as it isn't, the issue you specifically mentioned isn't related to it. If you plan to purchase a bunch of them for your business, I would recommend to wait for the Surface Pro 4. Microsoft seam to polish more and more, and learn from its mistakes, every generation of the product. We have to remember that Microsoft is new in making physical systems such as the Surface/Surface Pro line. It is incredible how much power they were able to put inside this small form factor device, and have decently great battery life for a second or third try (depending if you are looking at the Pro 2 or Pro 3).

We know nothing about the Surface Pro 4, but they are high chances it will be revealed with Windows 10 in 2015.

In a business environment, I would personally suggest to keep them in limited number. If the employee wants it/need it, sure I would get it, as there is nothing better on the market. But ordering 1 for every employee whether they care or not, as a mobility platform... I would wait on that.

From Jane B in reply: Sorry GoodBytes, but all of the updates were Windows or Office related. No reason to reset (I've been to this dance already once with the SP2) because Microsoft is solely responsible for putting my tablet out of commission for 7.5 hours.

OP
J

Jane B

Problem is on your end. Updates almost always take only 1-5 minutes to download and install and I haven't had IE misbehave. You probably have a) some program that you've installed that's causing your system to choke, b) you've got a virus that is interfering with the normal functioning of your device, c) you have somehow corrupted Windows which causes errors, thus making Windows update and IE run funny, and/or d) your hardware has been damaged. Best first solution is to do what Goodbytes suggested and do a Windows refresh which is basically a reinstallation of Windows without wiping your whole drive, thus you don't lose your documents and other files (although it's still a good idea to backup your important files). Contrary to what Goodbytes said, however, I would just install all available updates at the same time rather than one by one since, if your hardware is working correctly, it should succeed at installing all the updates simultaneously. After installing updates and restarting, check for updates again and repeat the process until no updates can be found. If everything works fine after that, start reinstalling your software one by one to hopefully determine what caused the problems in the first place.

From Jane B in reply: Sorry Philastic, nothing virus related and I have nothing but Microsoft and Adobe installed on this workstation.

OP
J

Jane B

You certainly have options as to how updates work even without using WSUS to deliver updates in a corporate environment. You can set it so it only notify you of updates or download them and notify you so you can install them when you want. Sorry you didn't choose wisely. If you have weak bandwidth you probably just want the notification because this is one area where I disagree with what MS views as a background process.

Updates downloading in the background DO currently interfere with system performance particularly IE but they should not. A true BACKGROUND process would not cause problems while you're using the system; are you listening MS?
Unfortunately downloading updates is NOT the background process it should be however, You do have control over when this happens you just need to exercise that control.

From Jane B in reply: Thanks GreyFox for the support and suggestion.

jefhart

From Jane B in reply: Sorry Philastic, nothing virus related and I have nothing but Microsoft and Adobe installed on this workstation.
"Adobe" is not software, it is a software company. This is not personal, but when I hear someone say they have Adobe installed I dismiss whatever else they are saying because it is more than likely not accurate.

Nuspieds

I have had my SP2 tables for more than 6 months and I have issues with how updates are performed. I've found that every time there's an update pending, IE starts to misbehave and I innocently think it's time to restart my computer only to find out there are updates and I am stuck.

Today after I rebooted my SP2 told me there were 26 (!!!) updates to run. It started at 2:10 p.m. and did not finish until 9:45 p.m. Once it rebooted IE still didn't work as it should and I found there were another 17 updates to run, which fortunately took only 5 minutes. BTW, I have a 10MBPS DSL line so connectivity was not the issue.

This kind of coopting of my tablet is absolutely unacceptable and makes me believe the SP is not a viable business solution. You put me out of commission for 7.5 hours today. Microsoft is out of its mind if they think this is acceptable to their customers.
Ok, it's one thing to complain about the effects of a specific firmware update because firmware updates are device-specific; however, Windows Updates are applied to a Windows system (i.e., multiple types of devices).

Let me tell you that I abhor Windows Update! It sucks and I think it needs revamping (i.e., fixing) big time! I state that not because I've had issues with it on my Surface Pros, but because I've had issues with it on my non-SP devices, too. The hatred I have of Windows Update is not for the device I'm using; rather, it's for Microsoft and Windows Update.

With the SP1 I was able to successfully migrate from a top-of-the-line ThinkPad with ease and was up and running with my existing apps and processes (both business and personal) in no time. Microsoft is marketing the SP3 as "the table that can replace your laptop" but I have always felt this way since the SP1--because I did it.

So, yes, I have always found the SP to be a viable business solution; the fact that I've experienced OS update issues certainly does not negate that sentiment because that happens on any Windows device (again, firmware updates are a different matter).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Adobe" is not software, it is a software company. This is not personal, but when I hear someone say they have Adobe installed I dismiss whatever else they are saying because it is more than likely not accurate.
In context, it's accurate enough; why be so pedantic?
Microsoft is a company also, you forgot to point that out. On that, you should dismiss your own statement as inaccurate and of no value. Just sayin.

jefhart

My intention was not to be pedantic but to make clear that is a very vague statement that doesn't help at all - that is why I said the info was probably not accurate. Was she referring to Acrobat or the entire Creative Cloud suite? I've had plenty of problems over the years with Windows (services not starting, drivers failing) that stemmed from Adobe programs and I never would have solved them had I Googled "x issue in adobe". She already stated the Microsoft software she was using - Windows and Office. Exactly which Adobe software do you have installed, Jane?