What's new

SP2 Updates - Are you kidding?

Do you think any generation ofthe Surface Pro Tablet is a viable business solution?

• Total voters

okto

Jane, how fast was your connection at the time? The 10Mbps spec of your DSL line only indicates the maximum speed the line is capable of, not the actual throughput, and certainly not the speed of every server you connect to. It's possible that either your connection or MS's servers were slow that day. I deal with a lot of HP server hardware, and their enterprise support site was so slow last Monday it was almost unusable. And that's a company whose hardware literally runs the internet. It happens.

If you really need critical availability and uptime for your machine, consider disabling automatic updates and running updates manually? Also, remember that you didn't contract with Microsoft for a 100% uptime system. They provide no guarantees that your computer will be fully functional at every moment, any more than a car manufacturer can promise that their cars will never break down or get a flat tire. It sucks that this took so long, but if your Surface being out of commission for half a day impacts your business that seriously, you need to have that data and those apps duplicated on another machine. Computers are complex machines that break down sometimes, and if you rely on a single point of failure, you have no one to blame but yourself if that point fails and you're left in the lurch.

It seems like you want someone to 'make it right" or something. The bottom line is you are not going to receive satisfaction for this. MS is not going to comp you anything, and if the problem was on their end, it's already fixed. It happened and it sucks, but since no one else is reporting this issue, it seems like it was probably a one-time glitch and that's it.

Alucardi

Considering you had the updates downloaded already knowing your internet speed is irrelevant and if it was 26 updates you needed to download 10mps wont get you far.
Ive never had issues with updates cause i always decide when to update and on my home computer which is on 24/7 i have a schedule set for updates.

Zkyevolved

Wow, updates for that many hours? Mine (when I have over 1GB of updates) takes no more than 10-15 minutes, but then again I have a 150mb line and the SP2 that I own is very fast. It's actually a lot faster to use my SP2 than my full desktop which is no slouch either!

I believe you have other problems if your updates are taking 7 and a half hours. I've had over 30 updates sometimes as I hardly ever shut down my device and just sleep or hibernate, and as I mentioned, they never take longer than 10-15 minutes.

If your computer is running fine in general, as mentioned above, uncheck the setting to update automatically and do it manually when you feel like you have those 7 hours .... Then again, 7 hours is too long. Even on my moms pentium computer with many updates it doesn't take more than 30 - 45 minutes. Something is wrong with your software in my opinion. You can alternatively set it to DOWNLOAD but NOT INSTALL, that way any updates will be done much faster.

I would personally refresh the device and run update to get all the updates, and you should see an immediate increase in speed as there is no other software. I have the full office suite and a few other things, so not a lot. But 90% of my updates are either Firmware or Software from Microsoft. So they're BIG updates, but once again, they don't take more than 10-15 minutes. If you discount the time to download, no more than 5. This little tablet is so handy with full windows, and so portable with its weight, and so powerful considering everything it has inside... I'm surprised about the poll... I don't see any other device that can match it....

I have an Android tablet that I use to browse the web and some simple gaming... But it is in NO way a replacement for my SP2... I won't even start about the iPad... But considering the other laptops out there, I'd much rather have my SP2 than a laptop for my work and personal life...