What's new

SP3 12" vs. Full Size vs. 9" vs. 7" vs. 5"

spacedogg

I posted this on another forum...but thought people might find it useful here.

I haven't seen a comparison like this before with the SP3...so I went ahead and took a few photos comparing screen sizes and readability vs. a full size magazine and various tablets I have around the house. The 3:2 aspect ratio and 12" inches of the SP3 is the way to go for reading full size documents without zooming in/out. If you read PDFs, textbooks, magazines, comics...it's pretty nice to not have to zoom in/out all the time. The SP3 is pretty close to the full size magazine...maybe at ~95% reduction? I'm sure someone can work out the exact math...but that is what it feels like.

You could read using a 9" tablet without zooming...but I think you would get a headache after awhile. You definitely need to zoom in on smaller text. In comparison, you don't need to zoom in on the 12" SP3 even for the smaller text. The 5" and 7" will require lots of zooming in/out. Of course, if you have really good eye sight you can read the normal text without zooming on the 5" or 7"...but I'm sure I would get a headache after a few minutes. The font size is much too small at that screen size. A 7" tablet is best for paperback sized books...not magazines. While using in landscape mode helps for 5" and 7", you can see that only the 9" tablet gets close to full size magazine. The SP3 version becomes larger than the full size magazine itself.

Hope this comparison helps someone in their decision whether 12" is the way to go. You can load the full size versions in the links under the photos. Sorry...due to lack of proper lighting...the photos are little blurry at full resolution.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - 5" Screen (1920 x 1080)
BlackBerry Playbook - 7" Screen (1024 x 600)
Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ - 9" Screen (1920 x 1280)
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - 12" Screen (2160 x 1440)

h7KYQDrl.jpg

Link: Full Size

Sf8T5Ull.jpg

GzMmN2Rl.jpg

xaETbKUl.jpg

cKdaOe2l.jpg

wVyp1nB.jpg

I have attached a copy of the PDF I was using (pages 1 and 34) to this post. You can also download the entire magazine directly from their website for free: http://digital.canadawide.com/i/118159

It would be great to see other people show comparison of an 8" device (like the Dell Venue Pro 8), a 10" device (like the iPad), a 11" device (like the Dell Venue Pro 11) and the Samsung Galaxy Pro 12.2. Please take a photo of your tablet along side the Surface Pro 3 if possible! If you use pages 1 and 34 as your comparison it will be easier to compare with my photos. Thanks!

Attachments

• Westworld - Spring 2012.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 471
Last edited:

malberttoo

I posted this on another forum...but thought people might find it useful here.

I haven't seen a comparison like this before with the SP3...so I went ahead and took a few photos comparing screen sizes and readability vs. a full size magazine and various tablets I have around the house. The 3:2 aspect ratio and 12" inches of the SP3 is the way to go for reading full size documents without zooming in/out. If you read PDFs, textbooks, magazines, comics...it's pretty nice to not have to zoom in/out all the time. The SP3 is pretty close to the full size magazine...maybe at ~95% reduction? I'm sure someone can work out the exact math...but that is what it feels like.

You could read using a 9" tablet without zooming...but I think you would get a headache after awhile. You definitely need to zoom in on smaller text. In comparison, you don't need to zoom in on the 12" SP3 even for the smaller text. The 5" and 7" will require lots of zooming in/out. Of course, if you have really good eye sight you can read the normal text without zooming on the 5" or 7"...but I'm sure I would get a headache after a few minutes. The font size is much too small at that screen size. A 7" tablet is best for paperback sized books...not magazines. While using in landscape mode helps for 5" and 7", you can see that only the 9" tablet gets close to full size magazine. The SP3 version becomes larger than the full size magazine itself.

Hope this comparison helps someone in their decision whether 12" is the way to go. You can load the full size versions in the links under the photos. Sorry...due to lack of proper lighting...the photos are little blurry at full resolution.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - 5" Screen (1920 x 1080)
BlackBerry Playbook - 7" Screen (1024 x 600)
Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ - 9" Screen (1920 x 1280)
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - 12" Screen (2160 x 1440)

h7KYQDrl.jpg

Sf8T5Ull.jpg

GzMmN2Rl.jpg

xaETbKUl.jpg

cKdaOe2l.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the comparison info, very interesting...:cool:

wynand32

Nice! What's also interesting are the different color temps of the various screens. Can you comment on which is the most pleasant? Do the pics accurately depict the colors?

OP
S

spacedogg

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the comparison info, very interesting...:cool:
Thanks for the welcome!
Nice! What's also interesting are the different color temps of the various screens. Can you comment on which is the most pleasant? Do the pics accurately depict the colors?
Hmmm...not really. I kinda did a quick eyeball for comparable brightness...but afterwards it is quite clear some were set brighter than others. I think the brightness will affect the perceived colour temperature so my photo may not be accurate in that regard. I have to say the old Blackberry Playbook seems to have very saturated colours tho. Out of the lot...SP3 looked the most muted...but it probably has the accurate color reproduction.

wynand32

Cool, thanks! In addition to color depth, I'm asking about color temp, i.e., is the screen colder (bluish) or warmer (yellowish) compared to the others?

mohcho

Welcome to the forum. This is a great comparison, but sadly I guess you do not have an iPad for comparison.

OP
S

spacedogg

Cool, thanks! In addition to color depth, I'm asking about color temp, i.e., is the screen colder (bluish) or warmer (yellowish) compared to the others?
Honestly I would have to compare more carefully. I never paid that much attention. Besides...you can usually download an app to tweak that right?
Welcome to the forum. This is a great comparison, but sadly I guess you do not have an iPad for comparison.
No...I don't buy Apple products. No iPad at my house...although my old man owns an iPad 2 at his. Next visit I may compare those two. Don't know anyone close to me who owns an iPad Air.

kristalsoldier

Thanks! Very interesting comparison and it really does show the advantages of the SP3. However, I think you should have included the iPad (Air) as part of the mix. It is - aside from the SP3 - one of the best e-reading devices I have ever used for two reasons - (1) the aspect ratio and the profile of the device and (2) for the apps (for example, PDF Expert for PDFs and iBooks (which is what I use) for ePUBs). Of course, YMMV.

OP
S

spacedogg

Thanks! Very interesting comparison and it really does show the advantages of the SP3. However, I think you should have included the iPad (Air) as part of the mix. It is - aside from the SP3 - one of the best e-reading devices I have ever used for two reasons - (1) the aspect ratio and the profile of the device and (2) for the apps (for example, PDF Expert for PDFs and iBooks (which is what I use) for ePUBs). Of course, YMMV.

Yeah not to mention practically everything is made with the iPad in mind. If you own a iPad Air, please post comparison photos!

I have attached a copy of the PDF I was using (pages 1 and 34) to this post. You can also download the entire magazine directly from their website for free: http://digital.canadawide.com/i/118159

It would be great to see other people show comparison of an 8" device (like the Dell Venue Pro 8), a 10" device (like the iPad), 11" (like the Dell Venue Pro 11) and the Samsung Galaxy Pro 12.2

Attachments

• Westworld - Spring 2012.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 433
Last edited:
OP
S

spacedogg

OK. Will do when I get a chance.
Cool.

In case anyone is interested in the 4:3 aspect ratio vs. 3:2 aspect ratio here are some more snapshots. On the left I have the Lenovo X61T (12.1" at 1024x768 or 4:3 aspect ratio). On the right I have the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (12" at 3:2 aspect ratio). As you can see the 4:3 aspect ratio and 0.1" matches more closer to the original full size magazine.

The screen on the X61T is horribly dim...even at max brightness. I have a photodon screen protector on it which picks up a lot of glare for some reason. I had to reduce the brightness of the SP3 down to 30% to match the X61T in the photo. I had to take a few quick snapshots before the battery on the X61T died (didn't bring my AC adapter). You get the general idea.

WoMfD0Gl.jpg

lu7JYKal.jpg

malberttoo

Having been on the SP3 now, I can't imagine going back to a X61T or X201T. Just seems absurd seeing them side by side like that!