What's new

SP3 and its interface with web browsers

seyclone

I've primarily used Firefox and occasionally IE as my web browsers. I have never liked Chrome because it is extremely intrusive, sometimes almost unusable because of the unstoppable pop-up ads. However, having said that I have found that Chrome seems to integrate almost perfectly with the version of WIN-8.1 running on the SP3. Sliding menus slide smoothly. Text size is easily changeable (although in steps rather than continuously).
However, the popups are getting worse and worse.

My question is: Is there any way to improve the IE, Firefox, or Nightly interface to make everything work on the touch screen, or failing that, is there a way to "choke" Chrome to get rid of the pop-ups? I've gotten into Chrome and disabled popups, but that's pretty useless.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've primarily used Firefox and occasionally IE as my web browsers. I have never liked Chrome because it is extremely intrusive, sometimes almost unusable because of the unstoppable pop-up ads. However, having said that I have found that Chrome seems to integrate almost perfectly with the version of WIN-8.1 running on the SP3. Sliding menus slide smoothly. Text size is easily changeable (although in steps rather than continuously).
However, the popups are getting worse and worse.

My question is: Is there any way to improve the IE, Firefox, or Nightly interface to make everything work on the touch screen, or failing that, is there a way to "choke" Chrome to get rid of the pop-ups? I've gotten into Chrome and disabled popups, but that's pretty useless.

Blocking popups is one of the main reasons I do use chrome. Under IE I am inundated with them when visiting various sites, so I use chrome and ad block plus and I don't get a single popup.

lparsons21

Blocking popups is one of the main reasons I do use chrome. Under IE I am inundated with them when visiting various sites, so I use chrome and ad block plus and I don't get a single popup.

Me too! While I prefer IE modern in many ways its lack of support for plugins and extensions make it a PITA to deal with. I use Chrome in modern mode and it works well enough.
Did they ever fix the battery eating problem in the release version?

leeshor

I read last week that Google plans a major overhaul of Chrome to address resource and battery use. That's a start