What's new

SP3 Battery Hits 10% and dies 15 secs later

HTee

I have an issue with my surface pro 3 dying like 15 seconds after it hits 10%. Does anyone else have this issue? It discharges just fine and I'm getting about 5-6 hours on it with screen at 65% brightness but as soon as it hits 10% I get the warning, then 10 secs later I get 7% warning then 5 secs later it shuts down completely or "hibernates". I don't know if this is normal or if I should go exchange it. Please help!

malberttoo

Probably depends on what you have running at the time. Usually I'd say it's defective and you should replace it, but with you saying that you feel like it's discharging normally, not sure what to tell you there.

Icemango

Actually, this exact same thing happened to me. Exactly the same. I get flawless battery (about 6-7 hours on 45%ish brightness) and then it gets to 10%, then BAM dies.

This only happened once by the way.

This must be a glitch with the battery and it's battery saving mechanism. As soon as it hits 10% it feels the need to hibernate or shut down to "conserve" as it thinks it doesn't have a lot of juice left.

Hopefully they patch it.

OP
H

HTee

Ended up exchanging it. The new one does not experience the same behavior. Although this one says battery has already lost .9% life capacity. Not sure if that will adjust after a few more cycles. Instead of maxing out at the designed 42,157mWh it maxes out 41,762mWh. Hope that's nothing to worry about. I mean I know all batteries lose their max capacity over time but seems odd id lose any out of the box.

Icemango

I found the solution for anyone interested.

It seems the OP may have had a glitch where it dies quickly after 10%, but my issue was when my laptop hit 6%, it immediately shut down (or went into hibernation). The reason for this is I checked my battery settings and it said that at 6% (critical battery life) the computer would go into hibernation. I changed this to at 2%, the computer would simply shut down. As a result, my laptop lasts that extra few percent.

Many may not know about this as they probably have not let their product lose that much battery without charging it. However, if you want to adjust these options, click the battery icon, click more power options, click change when computer sleeps, press advanced options, click battery, and you will have access to what your computer does and when it does it by clicking low battery notification, low battery action, critical battery notification, critical battery action.

Also make sure to change your reserve battery level to something low as well (If you are not happy with the product shutting down at 6 or 7%).

OP
H

HTee

I am aware of those settings and did adjust them but still didn't fix my problem. Basically the SP3 would go from 10% 1o x% in 15 secs. It didn't matter if x was set to 7%,5% or 2%.