What's new

SP3 boot problem

notaguru

SP3, W10, SP4 type cover
No malware (checked with several tools)
No home-built or strange software
Business only - no games or entertainment

This unit is more than a year old, and has performed brilliantly. I periodically clean up my Windows computers with a system restore (my data is mostly in the cloud), and did so about a month ago. Here is the current (3-4 days) problem:

At startup the screen will sometimes remain dark. Light bleeds in at one side, so something's working back there. No combination of keys (that I've discovered) will continue the boot to the startup screen. Ctl-Alt-Del does nothing, no swipe works. But the machine is not dead - there's illumination behind the screen.

Holding down the power key will EITHER
1. produce a half-screen image, asking me to swipe down to complete shutdown. That works, but goes back to the initial problem.
2. directly shut down

I've introduced new stimuli, including closing the unit, detaching the keyboard, random key combinations, etc. but with no consistent results.

The correct pen driver is installed
sfc /scannow reports corruption, but "...some problems could not be corrected"
MRT finds nothing
Various external scanners find nothing

??

leyvzilla

I also get this.
Same EXACT thing happens to me.

I could be working on a document and step away for a few minutes (sleep tablet), then come back to a black screen. It's weird and annoying. I'm pretty sure this is happening due to an update because it wasn't doing it before.

OP
N

notaguru

My SP3 responds to the 30-second press on the START key, after which I can get into a regular startup mode. It's annoying as hell, and persists even after I did a Windows 10 refresh.

This single fault occurs once daily, and has me looking at conventional laptops.

leyvzilla

Happens to me more when the keyboard is attached. Usually get it once every other day or so.

If I figure out what is causing it, I will post it.

leyvzilla

Dang. ctrl-alt-del works great on mine.

Try Windows key + P (press P three times)

Try control + shift + B

Read the comments on the video.... people post other solutions.

ScottyS

I just love Sean Ong's videos.
This occasionally happens to me, screen stays black when coming of sleep. I would hold to power button down for 30 seconds to force a shut down and then re-boot. Gotta try this trick next time, hope it works.

leyvzilla

I just love Sean Ong's videos.
This occasionally happens to me, screen stays black when coming of sleep. I would hold to power button down for 30 seconds to force a shut down and then re-boot. Gotta try this trick next time, hope it works.

Sean has very informative videos. Seems like a really cool guy.

eholbik

Dang. ctrl-alt-del works great on mine.

Try Windows key + P (press P three times)

Try control + shift + B

Read the comments on the video.... people post other solutions.

This helped for me... happens every once in awhile.... good solution for now

Sent from mTalk