What's new

SP3 constantly restarting after update interrupted...

pkolaboy

I am having a problem with my SP3 stuck in a restart loop. I was resetting it back to it's original state when the "an unexpected restart" error. I followed the instructions to get past it and once I did it went to the start up screen for about 8 seconds then to the update screen for about 1 second then restarts again. It does this over and over again without change. I have held the power and volume button trick and it only brings me to a screen like the one showed below. I have downloaded the recovery image for SF3 and no luck either. I am not sure what else to try. I have searched and searched and still nothing that can get me past this issue. Please, all the help is needed!

firmware.jpg

OP
P

pkolaboy

Update, randomly after I turned it on it went into a recovery mode and I was able to access the safe mode screen (this popped up after the self repair failed). I chose to reset the PC all together again and it stopped at 5% and after about 10min it said it was unable to reset. I chose to continue to windows 10 and now it goes to the Surface logo then resets after about 8 seconds.

OP
P

pkolaboy

Thanks for the reply! I was doing a factory reset and the computer shutdown during the reinstall.

Last edited:
OP
P

pkolaboy

Update for the second time I posted. I found that if you reset your cpu 2-3 times in a row, Preparing Automatic Repair will start and then the Automatic Repair screen will show. This is what happened in my second post. I will try this when I get home today and see if I can replicate it. These are the instructions I found:

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  7. Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.
I believe this should work for any windows 10 device right?