What's new

SP3 display: poor black levels, and possible fix

malberttoo

I downloaded the tool also when it first came out. And although I could tell a difference in the "steps", it did not change the darkness issue at all.

I have seen nothing noticeable on battery life.

jase2015

i just wish there was something to fix the issues you see when streaming a movie on netflix in a dark room. I almost had to reach for my ipad and watch on there instead, but i don't want to as i love this screen!

tony8154

is there anyone who has not done this but has done the firmware update?
I ask because I was planning on doing this, as I was only able to see from 14,
but now with the firmware update I'm able to see from 5.

Wallzii

is there anyone who has not done this but has done the firmware update?
I ask because I was planning on doing this, as I was only able to see from 14,
but now with the firmware update I'm able to see from 5.

I can confirm this as well. After the recent firmware update with the new display drivers, I can now see down to 4 on my Surface's display when previously I could only see down to 12.

wynand32

Love seeing this, because it makes for a much improved Netflix (and general video streaming) experience. Darker (as in low-light) shows like Daredevil are much better on my SP3 when it's displaying blacks as it should than on my iPad Air 2. Making me wish HBO would make a native Windows app and I didn't have to rely on the browser.

MassoSasso

I can confirm this as well. After the recent firmware update with the new display drivers, I can now see down to 4 on my Surface's display when previously I could only see down to 12.
Sorry, where are you able to change down to 4, in which application?

Wallzii

Sorry, where are you able to change down to 4, in which application?

After the latest firmware, which updated the display drivers for the Surface Pro 3, my black levels improved. The scale I was referring to is on this page. Prior to the update, black levels were indiscernible below 12, where now they are discernible down to 4.

I didn't make any changes to anything on my system; the black level improvement was a direct result of the new display drivers in the latest firmware.

wynand32

I thought I'd resurrect this thread just to say: in the constant up-and-down cycle of black levels and Intel HD graphics updates, we're in a definite down-cycle. The last few drivers provided good black levels, August's update is back to poor black levels. And I really don't want to mess with non-stock drivers, so this is just a "Grrr!" post.