What's new

SP3 Dock is GREAT, but I just thought of something that would make it PERFECT!

Zog1971

So, I just received the SP3 dock and really, really love it. I worked a full semester with a cheap rig of cables and usb hub with my SP1 and realized I needed the dock. It is truly going to make my life a bunch easier.

Anyway, MY POINT! :) I have read some negative comments on the dock because it just docks in at one angle and for some that want to use it docked with its type cover, or that use it docked with the pen, that is limiting. So, I was thinking they should make a cable that you can connect into the power of the SP3 to the place where the SP3 normally connects to the dock that allows you to use the SP3 with its kickstand angles or in hand, yet still have the full functionality of your dock. It would make it feel more like using a Wacom tablet when doing creative things with the pen and just give some options. I honestly don't think this would be too difficult to make happen and what a great bonus if you were buying the dock. Personally, I would even pay extra for such a cable.

Just saying, Microsoft, if you're watching, this is a great and easy idea. Would anyone else find this useful?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I just received the SP3 dock and really, really love it. I worked a full semester with a cheap rig of cables and usb hub with my SP1 and realized I needed the dock. It is truly going to make my life a bunch easier.

Anyway, MY POINT! :) I have read some negative comments on the dock because it just docks in at one angle and for some that want to use it docked with its type cover, or that use it docked with the pen, that is limiting. So, I was thinking they should make a cable that you can connect into the power of the SP3 to the place where the SP3 normally connects to the dock that allows you to use the SP3 with its kickstand angles yet still have the full functionality of your dock. It would make it feel more like using a Wacom tablet when doing creative things with the pen and just give some options. I honestly don't think this would be too difficult to make happen and what a great bonus if you were buying the dock. Personally, I would even pay extra for such a cable.

Just saying, Microsoft, if you're watching, this is a great and easy idea. Would anyone else find this useful?
And it should be retractable. :)

PocketAce

I actually was thinking about the Dock today. My wish list is a Dedicated GPU built into the dock and a maybe a cooling fan. Microsoft could pull this off using their high speed bus connection for the dock. I would be willing to pay about 350$ for it. :)

OP
Zog1971

Zog1971

I actually was thinking about the Dock today. My wish list is a Dedicated GPU built into the dock and a maybe a cooling fan. Microsoft could pull this off using their high speed bus connection for the dock. I would be willing to pay about 350$ for it. :)

That would be a great addition! All the gamers would be so pleased. :)

OP
Zog1971

Zog1971

That should be a user installable option.
Agreed. Even my idea of the cable could be an add-on as the dock is truly great as is for me.

Although, now that I've thought of the cable, I keep thinking of scenarios I could use it in. Being able to lay the tablet flat or in it's most extended kickstand actually would open up some great possibilities for me in my Adobe and drawing software. The reality is, I can easily undock it to do these things, but being able to leave it connected up with all my peripherals would be awesome. No, they should just include my cable in the box, come to think of it.

And, in honor of me, it shall be called the ZogCable. :)

mtalinm

What would make mine perfect would be
1) it charges the surface when inserted
2) the mini displayport actually works
Neither of which are the case. POS is going back Monday.

OP
Zog1971

Zog1971

What would make mine perfect would be
1) it charges the surface when inserted
2) the mini displayport actually works
Neither of which are the case. POS is going back Monday.
Yikes! You got a dud for sure. That sucks. I hope your replacing it because those things are working great on this end.