What's new

SP3 Dockingstation - Temperature Symbol

Hi,
i have got the SP3 docking station since yesterday and i think there is a problem with it. When installing updates (i did a full reset to factory reset) i often get the temperature symbol after applying the updates. But when restarting it immediately after the symbol it works again.

Would be nice to know if others have that too. I am wondering because i didnt get that symbol without docking station before.

Thanks
Daniel

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think getting the temperature symbol is normal... docking station or no docking station.

Do you have only one monitor attached to the docking station? what resolution(s)?
what else is connected via the docking station?

If you run Task Manager/Resource Monitor what's using CPU resources?

OP
Danielo290881

Danielo290881

On the docking station i have only attachaed a 27" monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440. And a mouse. On surface itself there is nothing attached.

Perhaps it were too many updates, dont know. But i am interested if there will be other users with this issue, as i have read here that in the USA the shipment will start today?

ctitanic

Hi,
i have got the SP3 docking station since yesterday and i think there is a problem with it. When installing updates (i did a full reset to factory reset) i often get the temperature symbol after applying the updates. But when restarting it immediately after the symbol it works again.

Would be nice to know if others have that too. I am wondering because i didnt get that symbol without docking station before.

Thanks
Daniel
I have seen i7 owners reporting that. My recommendation would be to run the updates having the tablet located in a well ventilated area. A USB fan can help cooling the device. An interruption like that of the update could end leaving your device without installing needed updates or drivers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...r-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380553

Last edited:
OP
Danielo290881

Danielo290881

Thanks for replying and telling me that you have read that, too! I did what you said and have done the updates without docking. Then there was no temperature symbol. Everyone should remember that if he is going to do a full factory reset. About 50 updates now seem a little bit to much for docking of SP3 :)

ctitanic

Thanks for replying and telling me that you have read that, too! I did what you said and have done the updates without docking. Then there was no temperature symbol. Everyone should remember that if he is going to do a full factory reset. About 50 updates now seem a little bit to much for docking of SP3 :)
The docking station may add an extra load to the process, so yes, doing the update without having the tablet in the cradle probably is a good idea.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the docking station i have only attachaed a 27" monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440. And a mouse. On surface itself there is nothing attached.

Perhaps it were too many updates, dont know. But i am interested if there will be other users with this issue, as i have read here that in the USA the shipment will start today?
One user here reported the fan coming on when he wasn't doing anything... turns out Windows Defender was using high CPU when the system was idle. He just turned it off and installed a different antivirus. If your getting Temp warnings its do to some process; whether this process activity is normal or abnormal needs to be determined. In his case clearly Defender was in an abnormal state.

Driving a second display would create more load but this should be well within operating limits. I'm using two external displays at the moment on a USB Docking station which uses DisplayLink technology. DisplayLink uses the CPU to compress the screen to send over the USB link. I would think this should normally be a higher load on the CPU than a DisplayPort monitor. I have no issues with temp or the fan coming on during normal operation.

ZorMi

It would be great if dock station has one more gadget: additional fan blowing quietly through SP3 when docked.

Then, we would have a real desktop when running in dock station (less or no throttling), laptop when taken away and notepad with separated cover. I wish... :)