What's new

SP3 Duct 2.0 (Stops thermal throttling!)

wolfeater

Hi @Cothek

I'm kinda uncomfortable/not skilled with soldering (and only have limited access to a soldering gun). Is there any chance this cable would work instead of soldering the pieces together? It would make my life far easier if it did.

USB to Fan 3-Pin/4-Pin Adaptor Cable (90cm)

or this one:
FrozenCPU.com USB to 3-Pin / 4-Pin PWM Fan Cable Adapter - 36" - FrozenCPU.com

If not I'll suck it up and figure it out, but thought I'd check before I started trying to figure out how to solder things :D.

Thanks!

Markbc01

Hi @Cothek

I'm kinda uncomfortable/not skilled with soldering (and only have limited access to a soldering gun). Is there any chance this cable would work instead of soldering the pieces together? It would make my life far easier if it did. :D.
Thanks!

Hi
I tried soldering ...it was a mess. I decided to cut off the connector from the FAN end and tape the correct wires coming out of the fan, to the matching wires on the USB power cable.

I had to test the wires after I cut the fan's connector off, but once I identified the correct wires -taped them up and it works.

It is a bit ugly compared to the professional job Cothek did, but it works! :)
A bit ugly.jpg

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Hi @Cothek

I'm kinda uncomfortable/not skilled with soldering (and only have limited access to a soldering gun). Is there any chance this cable would work instead of soldering the pieces together? It would make my life far easier if it did.

USB to Fan 3-Pin/4-Pin Adaptor Cable (90cm)

or this one:
FrozenCPU.com USB to 3-Pin / 4-Pin PWM Fan Cable Adapter - 36" - FrozenCPU.com

If not I'll suck it up and figure it out, but thought I'd check before I started trying to figure out how to solder things :D.

Thanks!
Unfortunately the connector from the fan is smaller than the ones you linked. But doing what Markbc01 did is always an option. I wish the fan had a bigger connector but i couldn't find a fan that size with a larger connector.

Hi
I tried soldering ...it was a mess. I decided to cut off the connector from the FAN end and tape the correct wires coming out of the fan, to the matching wires on the USB power cable.

I had to test the wires after I cut the fan's connector off, but once I identified the correct wires -taped them up and it works.

It is a bit ugly compared to the professional job Cothek did, but it works! :) View attachment 7675
This is great! Thanks for posting pics and as long as it works you've done a great job. Just make sure your wire joints are wrapped tight with tape.

Toogy1206

Hello,

My name is Javier And I just bought a SP4 not to long ago. I use it for work and some gaming on steam. Im really interested in trying this fan and duct out. I assume it would work with the SP4? Also im taking a trip before I think I would receive this and was wondering if you guys thought this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ernal fan&qid=1451568744&ref_=sr_1_34&sr=8-34
would work in the meantime. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wolfeater

Hi @Cothek

So I got the wires soldered and all set with some help from a family member, but now I just want to make sure everything is running correctly. Which direction should the fan be spinning is the main question I have. I seem to be getting slightly better performance when I have the fan spinning counterclockwise (to the left) and have the shiny, grey metal part facing me. Is this correct or did I mess something up?

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Hello,

My name is Javier And I just bought a SP4 not to long ago. I use it for work and some gaming on steam. Im really interested in trying this fan and duct out. I assume it would work with the SP4? Also im taking a trip before I think I would receive this and was wondering if you guys thought this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010PZPZDG?keywords=external fan&qid=1451568744&ref_=sr_1_34&sr=8-34
would work in the meantime. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
This duct won't work on the SP4 because they are different thicknesses unfortunately (or fortunately). Not sure on the fan from amazon but any additional airflow will help.

Hi @Cothek

So I got the wires soldered and all set with some help from a family member, but now I just want to make sure everything is running correctly. Which direction should the fan be spinning is the main question I have. I seem to be getting slightly better performance when I have the fan spinning counterclockwise (to the left) and have the shiny, grey metal part facing me. Is this correct or did I mess something up?
Make sure the red wire coming from your USB cable lines up with the red from the fan and same with the black wires. Check the pics in the OP for correct fan orientation.

toematoe

I brought the fan from aliexpress and solder the usb cable to the fan as well..
only used tape and a thick piece of heavy card stock paper to stick to the fan back..

although airflow is not fully contained.. i hear or see no throttling from the sp3 so far.. thanks Cothek!

OP
Cothek

Cothek

I brought the fan from aliexpress and solder the usb cable to the fan as well..
only used tape and a thick piece of heavy card stock paper to stick to the fan back..

although airflow is not fully contained.. i hear or see no throttling from the sp3 so far.. thanks Cothek!
Good to hear! Got some pics for us?

lysol

Have you guys been just soldering the USB cable red/black wires directly to the appropriate fan wires?

Toogy1206

Hey Cothek,

I just ordered a 3d printer and was wondering if you would be willing to share your files for this bracket? I would like to make some small adjustments and make it work for the SP4. Just a thought. Please let me know at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

lysol

I just ordered the bracket (w/usb hub area) last night in black. I'll be ordering the fan shortly and have a box of cables collecting dust that has this project written all over it.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Have you guys been just soldering the USB cable red/black wires directly to the appropriate fan wires?
That should work fine. I just don't trust myself to strip those tiny fan wires.

I just ordered the bracket (w/usb hub area) last night in black. I'll be ordering the fan shortly and have a box of cables collecting dust that has this project written all over it.
Show us some pics when you're done!