What's new

SP3 external battery?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Presently the only one I've seen is from Mikegyver.com note you can also just buy a cable if you have another battery with the right voltage. these are expensive! I'm sure others will come to market in time.

daveyp

Nothing like what you see for USB devices will charge the SP3. Your only option that I am aware of is a UPS. Something like this

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...T&cid=262075&lid=4742361&acd=1230980794501410

according to the chart, the 36 watt power adapter should be able to run for a couple hours. I haven;t done physic in a long time, but I think it's enough to recharge the surface pro 3's battery at least once, maybe twice if not completely dead.

edit: ^ never knew that battery existed

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing like what you see for USB devices will charge the SP3. Your only option that I am aware of is a UPS. Something like this

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...T&cid=262075&lid=4742361&acd=1230980794501410

according to the chart, the 36 watt power adapter should be able to run for a couple hours. I haven;t done physic in a long time, but I think it's enough to recharge the surface pro 3's battery at least once, maybe twice if not completely dead.

edit: ^ never knew that battery existed
Yeah that $500 battery will charge everything but your car :)

wertzius

There are many USB Power Packs with an additional 12V round plug available. With a fitting cable it should be possible to charge the shutoff Surrace.

bluegrass

Hell, you can buy a SP3 charger for $79 and wack off the cable to connect to a battery. Mikegyver better get it will the gettin's good because those prices won't hold up when competition steps in.

wjcole

I am making a recommendation to buy the eTauro docking station )$89 Amazon. It comes with a standard (2.1 mm) power jack - same as used on many laptops. Use this jack and any 12 - 16 volt capable battery pack (Amazon has several from 2000 to 3200 mAh ones for under $130), and you are in business. Have not tested yet, but did get confirmation from eTauro that it would work. By the way, this is a great dock alterative. It only weighs 3 0z., and allows use of the kick stand at all angles.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am making a recommendation to buy the eTauro docking station )$89 Amazon. It comes with a standard (2.1 mm) power jack - same as used on many laptops. Use this jack and any 12 - 16 volt capable battery pack (Amazon has several from 2000 to 3200 mAh ones for under $130), and you are in business. Have not tested yet, but did get confirmation from eTauro that it would work. By the way, this is a great dock alterative. It only weighs 3 0z., and allows use of the kick stand at all angles.
I'd rather just buy a cable at a fraction of the price..