What's new

SP3 Fan kick in - light tasks

delair

Hi

Should the fan kick in when watching movies/playing videos from youtube or BBC iPlayer?

My SP3 is working well however what I can't believe to understand is when I use YouTube or BBC iPlayer to play videos the fan kicks in like a hovercraft 5-7mins into the video is this normal?

I am doing nothing else, no other apps/windows open other then the IE window so I could say very light usage and the fan kicks however, the fan will not kick in or start when idle or when using the SP3 normally which I would expect, just when on youtube or iplayer

Any ideas? do other people have the same issue? would it be worth me sending the device back to MS for an exchange?

All help appreciated.

OP
D

delair

i5/256GB - and I believe they are flash based however I have tried HD & non HD videos and its still the same, just really annoying but if by design that's how it works then that's fine just not sure.

Mines usually fine i5 but using skygo which uses Microsoft Silverlight it goes very warm which is why I don't use that , that's only problem I've had watching stuff

kundas1

the ONLY TIME my fans come on is when I'm gaming and even then it doesn't make alot of noise...its sorta like a whisper... I watch netflix, youtube and other movie stuff and its super quiet...

lonaysta

I think my fan is on all the time when docked..........But it does not bother me much. It is not hot when on battery.

OP
D

delair

the ONLY TIME my fans come on is when I'm gaming and even then it doesn't make alot of noise...its sorta like a whisper... I watch netflix, youtube and other movie stuff and its super quiet...

Kundas1 what model do you have? just wondering if it differs depending on the model due to the CPU/Cooling

My SP3 does get really warm when watching youtube/BBC iplayer at the back top right (i'm guessing that's where the CPU is) once the fan has kicked in. General usage office/outlook/browsing the SP3 is cool with no fans.

suprafly

my sp3 core i5 256 fan is spinning even when no applications, are running. Just sitting idle and the fan will kick in when there is no major activity or intense load on the cpu.

kind of strange even when shutting down the device and waiting 5-10 mins for the heat to dissipate, and cool down upon turning the device back on the fan will kick in and spin for very long time. My battery take hit when the fan is spinning at full load.