What's new

SP3 heating and fan keeps running

qwertyy

I was using chrome to watch a video and when i was about 30 minutes into it, the fan started running and it just keeps running without any sign of stopping (it's been running for 20 minutes now)

The real problem is I can't even do anything on my surface 3 right now because it's lagging like crazy...
I'm cool with this now because I wasn't doing anything important, but I'm really concerned about the future performance. If this happens while I'm taking notes in class, then I won't even be able to take any notes.

Is there any way to improve this? My device windows is fully updated so I don't really know where to go from here.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is caused mostly by Chrome's poor Win32 Code, using IE should give you better performance and battery life...

Some have had better luck with Chrome 38 or higher.... personally I won't touch Chrome.

OP
Q

qwertyy

This is caused mostly by Chrome's poor Win32 Code, using IE should give you better performance and battery life...

Some have had better luck with Chrome 38 or higher.... personally I won't touch Chrome.

Oh... I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for the input. So people don't normally have this problem when they're using IE instead?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not typically.... there are some sites that have caused IE to act up but Compatibility Mode fixes it....

ctitanic

We keep saying, do not use Chrome. And people accuses us of being IE fans. But we are not. We are just tired of seeing episodes like this everyday.

Cothek

I was using chrome to watch a video and when i was about 30 minutes into it, the fan started running and it just keeps running without any sign of stopping (it's been running for 20 minutes now)

The real problem is I can't even do anything on my surface 3 right now because it's lagging like crazy...
I'm cool with this now because I wasn't doing anything important, but I'm really concerned about the future performance. If this happens while I'm taking notes in class, then I won't even be able to take any notes.

Is there any way to improve this? My device windows is fully updated so I don't really know where to go from here.
Are you running an i5 or i7? I have an i7 and have not had any problems running Chrome, although it does tend to use more resources. Actually I like that even in desktop mode Chrome supports swiping to go forward and back like in MUI IE. I would agree tho, stick with MUI IE if you can.

OP
Q

qwertyy

Are you running an i5 or i7? I have an i7 and have not had any problems running Chrome, although it does tend to use more resources. Actually I like that even in desktop mode Chrome supports swiping to go forward and back like in MUI IE. I would agree tho, stick with MUI IE if you can.

Mine's running an i5. I'm just going to stick with IE now xD