What's new

SP3-i5 Amount of graphical Ram left?

Geneo

I know the built-in graphics has 1.7 gig graphical memory. But that's the total amount, before using some for display, etc.
Does someone know how much is normally left? Is there a way to display it?
I'm asking because when looking at the specs of some games nowadays, some require 1 gig, some 512 megs. I've tried a couple of the "1 gig" games and they may, or may not, work. (For these programs, ram or processor is not the problem).
I'm sure others would like to know too, so thanks in advance.

Liam2349

I know the built-in graphics has 1.7 gig graphical memory. But that's the total amount, before using some for display, etc.
Does someone know how much is normally left? Is there a way to display it?
I'm asking because when looking at the specs of some games nowadays, some require 1 gig, some 512 megs. I've tried a couple of the "1 gig" games and they may, or may not, work. (For these programs, ram or processor is not the problem).
I'm sure others would like to know too, so thanks in advance.

That's not what is going to stop you from playing games. What will stop you is the CPU and integrated GPU. What games are you looking at?

OP
Geneo

Geneo

Sorry, I guess that's what I was talking about- the GPU. I don't think the 'integrated' part has much to do with it (though I have seen some games that say "___ integrated chip not supported"). Usually they list just the graphical ram required.
As for games, Age of Empires III, Stronghold HD, Patrician IV. I'm looking at getting Train Fever, but I'm not willing to risk $35 to see if it works or not.

Liam2349

Sorry, I guess that's what I was talking about- the GPU. I don't think the 'integrated' part has much to do with it (though I have seen some games that say "___ integrated chip not supported"). Usually they list just the graphical ram required.
As for games, Age of Empires III, Stronghold HD, Patrician IV. I'm looking at getting Train Fever, but I'm not willing to risk $35 to see if it works or not.

Integrated means low-end, and graphical RAM isn't really a requirement. You basically need a decent enough CPU to render everything - Total War is a good example, as rendering hundreds of troops requires a lot of CPU power. Then you need graphics power to make stuff look nice, but your base requirement for actually running it in any state is usually a decent CPU.

I'm not familiar with the requirements of these games, but I think you have two options.

First is to go here: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

This website allows you to select a game and will compare your system to the minimum and recommended specs to run the game, and give you a recommendation. It's not the most accurate system in the world, but I'm not aware of any alternatives.

<removed line due to Forum Rule violation>

Last edited by a moderator:

raqball

<removed quote>

Horrible idea..

How about sending the maker of the game an email with the SP3 specs and asking and / or find an online forum for the game and ask fellow game players there..

Liam2349

Horrible idea..

How about sending the maker of the game an email with the SP3 specs and asking and / or find an online forum for the game and ask fellow game players there..

If he were considering that, he would be better off using the link I provided as the answer would be based on the exact same information. Considering the SP3 isn't mainstream, he will probably struggle to find people with those games even on this forum, but of course he is welcome to try.

<removed section based on Forum Rules>

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I removed all bits promoting illegal software piracy.... if it continues I'll hand out warnings....thanks

surfdock

To determine the Graphics ram on your system, run dxdiag.exe and click save all info. Open the .txt file. You'll see something like this:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_00051414&REV_0B
Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 1792 MB

What this is telling you is that there is zero dedicated memory for graphics. It is all shared with the system ram and depending on what programs are running, the GPUdriver will reserve up-to 1792MB at the expense of system RAM. So if you have a 4GB RAM system, good luck playing those games. With an 8GB system, you have a much better chance, but many of these games are just not designed to play well on the Intel integrated graphics systems.

When a game cites a requirement for 1GB VRAM, what they mean is 1GB dedicated VRAM. Any system can have many GB of shared memory depending on the system RAM config and the driver settings. I would not waste the money buying these games unless you can get a statement from the vendor or assurance from forum posts that it will work on your config.

OP
Geneo

Geneo

Thanks for recommending the CanYouRunIt site. That's what I was looking for, and though it's not perfect, it's certainly better than my 'guessing'.
I had it check the games I listed, including Train Fever. Glad I didn't spend the $35. (Rats!)

Mostly the problem isn't the sp3 having enough graphical power, but the wrong graphical power. If a game is written for only ATI or Nvidia "cards" (and a lot are), it won't work. On the other hand, you have to read what it says. For instance, when I looked up Sid Meier's Civ: Beyond Earth and it said everything is OK... except for 'Dedicated Video Ram". It says I need 256meg, but that I don't have any (zero)... which, I guess is true, I don't have any dedicated video ram.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, guys.

Cothek

You should be able to play these games just fine, even when throttling kicks in. Here's a video of the sp2 playing AoE 3. Just set things on low and set the rest lower and you should be good.

OP
Geneo

Geneo

I hear what you're saying, but I don't want to set things "lower".
Minecraft is good example. The site says the only reason I can't run it because I don't have the required 32Meg dedicated ram, but several people have reported being able to run it.... though it runs "hot" to "very hot". (I ain't trying it- besides, I have it on the Xbox One anyway.)

Anyway, I knew the sp3 wasn't a gaming laptop going in. It will run a lot of games with no problem- but there's a lot it won't run too (or run like you'd like).
Oh well!