What's new

SP3 i5 only 5 weeks old. Overheats like crazy. Anyone else?

Am I right?

• Total voters

kundas1

yes mine never over heats even when gaming! it gets hot but not to the point of what others are describing! which is you can hardly hold the device, I think there is a problem with the thermal paste and cooling... I would take it back

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes mine never over heats even when gaming! it gets hot but not to the point of what others are describing! which is you can hardly hold the device, I think there is a problem with the thermal paste and cooling... I would take it back
An odd conclusion to leap to with so little information and one that's completely unknowable.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

But you also need to consider that a lot of people often overexagerate. It seems a recurring issue that when people complain about a new device being hot, fopr some reason the phrase too hot to hold often gets used, when it is in reality a load of tosh. I seem to recall scores of people saying the sp3 was too hot to hold when it first came out, when in reality what they were actually saying was that it is just hotter than their ipad gets. Almost a buyers remorse kind of thing, when you spend lots of money on something and it doesn't work as expected, a lot of folk will exaggerate the issues to attempt to justify their frustration to themselves.

bluegrass

As long as you have all the updates applied, you're using IE for your browser, & not running a game, it looks like you might need a tech to take look at your Surface. I would take it in to a MS store and ask a tech to look at your complaints. It does sound a bit like you probably aren't going to be happy with the new technology design of the Surface. If you were happy with your iPad, I would consider going back to one.

I don't buy into the whole overhearing / new devices shouldn't get hot brigade. it is a full computer, with a ultrabook class processor in a metal shell 9mm thick. Its gonna get warm. it generates heat, it has to go somewhere.

If it didn't get hot or wasn't even getting warm, it would indicate overzealous throttling and be dog slow. nobody wants a flagship device that's slow.

OP
P

Paul Towmy

I suppose one mans overheating is another mans normal operations. Its not overheating until it shuts down....
:)

Thank you so much. All makes sense and sounds reasonable. Possibly my idea of hot, isn't, if what you say is right. See what happens and as you say, over=crash, or not. Cheers

mitchellvii

This is running an i5 with almost no fan. Try opening your desktop and putting your finger on the cpu after some gaming. The fact this runs as cool and quiet as it does is a miracle of engineering.

Have a look in Task Manager and see what's flogging the CPU. For me - after the latest 10 - The Host Sync was running at a constant 28%. This lead to heat, perma-fan and reduced battery life. After killing that process, everything is fine and dandy again.

Liam2349

Until you answer the questions Roach asked on the previous page, there's not really anything we can do.

If you're running Battlefield 4 and complaining of thermal shutdowns, I'd say you're using the device wrong. If all you're doing is turning it on and browsing the web (not using Chrome, which is well known to be programmed by monkeys) - and the device is getting hot and the fans are spinning loud, then there's a problem we can help with.

However, we need to know how you are using the device.

OP
P

Paul Towmy

It's seems that 2 staff members disagree here, as to the possible causes. So I've had my SP3 for 8 months now - and it's often too hot to hold. That can't be right.

But it doesn't matter how hot it gets - if it doesn't shut down, it's not over-heating, it's just bloody hot, deal with it??? Is that really the general advice here?

And now the fan has started to rattle. Not suprising - it's worked it's ass off for 8 months.

What's the general consensus here please, as I've not been following everything since my original post.
If I take it back to the John Lewis store I bought it from, should I be able to get a replacement or am I screwed now?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's seems that 2 staff members disagree here, as to the possible causes. So I've had my SP3 for 8 months now - and it's often too hot to hold. That can't be right.

But it doesn't matter how hot it gets - if it doesn't shut down, it's not over-heating, it's just bloody hot, deal with it??? Is that really the general advice here?

And now the fan has started to rattle. Not suprising - it's worked it's ass off for 8 months.

What's the general consensus here please, as I've not been following everything since my original post.
If I take it back to the John Lewis store I bought it from, should I be able to get a replacement or am I screwed now?
You still haven't given us enough information about what you are using on your Surface Pro 3, certain applications can hammer the system, especially Chrome, Torrents and some security suites....