What's new

SP3 i5 only 5 weeks old. Overheats like crazy. Anyone else?

Am I right?

• Total voters
My trusty IE with TPLs and Groove music app keep my SP3 cool even in hot summer days.
Here's my screenshot with SP3 running mp3s in background and 8 IE tabs, giving only 3% CPU usage and 2.5 W CPU package power and fans are not even running on a 83 degree F room temperature.

This is on a SP3 with i5/4GB RAM configuration

Untitled.jpg

Nucleon

I think this happens to me too, but really, the fan just spins faster, and it has never had the temperature gauge "overheat" issue where it shuts itself down to prevent hardware damage. I've had it for nearly a year, and the device pretty much works the same as the entire time I've had it.

Trust me, don't get the iPad, I'm not saying the iPad is bad, but the SP3 is really a tablet with powerful laptop parts that can do anything a PC can do, plus, it has a built-in art digitizer, one of those with multi-touch functionality just FOR a lower-resolution screen digitizer will usually run you more on a Wacom digitzer, and that's just a peripheral, not even a computer.

It's utility is near boundless for me, I draw on the bus sometimes, I use it as a laptop on the train sometimes, I take notes in lectures, and general work in my uni classes. The iPad is more for long trips in a car to watch movies or play games, but doing actual work on one is going to be particularly difficult. The iPad is a tablet, and a rather good one at that, but the Surface is a mobile workstation. (That may or may not be intentionally inclined towards digital artists.)

kundas1

I'm telling you guys, I think his unit might be defective, I use chrome to watch Netflix all the time and other stuff and my device doesn't heat up like the OP's I think his fan might be defective if it's starting to make noise (which it shouldn't!) maybe some sort of debris fell in the fan assembly or something.... not normal for whats going on with his device.

Cyb3rDud3

It is all a bit subjective, one persons too hot to handle is another persons hand warm. Heck my MacBook Air was at times too hot to have on my lap. As others have said it all depends what you are doing with it. One thing we know for certain, it isn't overheating ;)

Telstar1948

No question that when an SP3 shuts down due to excessive temperature, THAT'S HOT. Before that, as long as the device is managing the heat, it's working within its design envelope; however, most of us have noted that some devices, doing much the same work as others, runs with less fan action than others. Some of that can be attributed different variables - air temp, type apps running etc. But in all that, the OS sometimes plays its part for better or worse. My SP3 prior to Win10 seldom ran the fan. I'm using the same device in the same way with the same software as then, but under Win10 the fan running has become more the rule than the exception. Before it was the exception. I'm thinking this behavior has more to do with Win10 than anything else in my case.

Fortunately for me, my SP3 still gets the same quietness and coolness (temperature wise) when I upgraded to Win 10. Battery life is the same as Windows 8.1 too.