What's new

SP3 i5 or i7 for Graphic Design Student/Artist?

OP
Zog1971

Zog1971

Looking forward to more input from users of these technologies.

Note: PCMark 8 has an openCL option on its Free benchmarks and the paid version includes the ability to benchmark using Adobe CC apps. Good golly I might learn something, and I love technology.

This diminutive or hefty slab (tablet) depending on your perspective has more power, storage, and capabilities than a room sized computer from days of old and more power than what some crazy people went to the moon with, how'd they do that! Where do you want to go?

Thanks. This brings up a very good question. What are the tests/benchmarks that a person should look at who is concerned with how a computer will fare in the Adobe CC apps? I have no idea besides the PCMark8 suggestion this post makes.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. This brings up a very good question. What are the tests/benchmarks that a person should look at who is concerned with how a computer will fare in the Adobe CC apps? I have no idea besides the PCMark8 suggestion this post makes.
I'm looking to the Creative types that work with this software for the answer to that. ;-)

OP
Zog1971

Zog1971

I'm looking to the Creative types that work with this software for the answer to that. ;-)
Totally. I just posted a separate thread asking that question specifically, so maybe we will get some answers from there as well. Now back to the BIG question.....i5 or i7???? :) I'm leaning i7 but still gonna hold out for a little more info to come in. I'm oddly having fun researching and obsessing over this topic......

For photo editing and drawing programmes I wouldnt have thought there would be that much of a noticable difference between the 2 processors. If your going to be doing any 3D rendering then I'd go for the i7 as it will utilise the GPU far more than the other programmes.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7072/intel-hd-5000-vs-hd-4000-vs-hd-4400
But, as I think you have already decided, what ever option you go for, dont skimp on the RAM!
Battery life and heat should be about the same for either option.
The difference between the 2 will also be more noticeable if your connecting your machine up to a seperate high res monitor and 4k is becoming more popular as prices continue to drop

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I've seen via posts here I'm really confused. People saying the i7 is no better than i5 but then posting benchmarks showing a clear difference in i7's favour... throttling does seemt o still be an issue, but how often will it kick in? How often will the processor be asked to perform for continuous amounts of time enough for it to cause a problem I don't know. I'm still happy to go with i7, not because I have money to burn, but because I'm willing to beleive that in normal use, there WILL be a difference, and only under high stress circumstances will it become a "problem"... but how much of a problem would it actually be? I'm willing to accept the consequences of the production of what is a very thin, and actually cutting edge device.

megatronium

Quick observation from rendering g a video this morning in Premiere...when the screen turned off, the fan stopped. Premiere kept going though. I could tell by the percentage rendered when I woke it. Also the default intelHD drivers aren't good for CC. Download the newest beta drivers from Intel's site.

bkydcmpr

From what I've seen via posts here I'm really confused. People saying the i7 is no better than i5 but then posting benchmarks showing a clear difference in i7's favour... throttling does seemt o still be an issue, but how often will it kick in? How often will the processor be asked to perform for continuous amounts of time enough for it to cause a problem I don't know. I'm still happy to go with i7, not because I have money to burn, but because I'm willing to beleive that in normal use, there WILL be a difference, and only under high stress circumstances will it become a "problem"... but how much of a problem would it actually be? I'm willing to accept the consequences of the production of what is a very thin, and actually cutting edge device.
clearly in i7's favor? you gotta look at those numbers again. they fluctuate a lot, in one test i7 went higher, in next test i7 went lower. run it in the morning and noon, you got different result. whatever the favor you got, it's not accountable.

megatronium

clearly in i7's faProductivitygotta look at those numbers again. they fluctuate a lot, in one test i7 went higher, in next test i7 went lower. run it in the morning and noon, you got different result. whatever the favor you got, it's not accountable.

What will you be using the SP3 for? Gaming?Maybe not for you. Productivity or digital art? It's great for that.

bkydcmpr

What will you be using the SP3 for? Gaming?Maybe not for you. Productivity or digital art? It's great for that.
I'm a software developer and occasional digital artist, video editor and audio recorder/mixer. I don't play games at all. I thought I was one of the microsoft targeted users since there are a lot of people like me in their company.

megatronium

I'm a software developer and occasional digital artist, video editor and audio recorder/mixer. I don't play games at all. I thought I was one of the microsoft targeted users since there are a lot of people like me in their company.

I do all of that as well. You seem to want to "hardcore game" on this thing even though you say you don't. It's not for you. 3D artist? I am. Audio/Video editor? I am. It's GREAT for those purposes. Adobe CC2014 user of the whole suite? I am. None of these use the CPU/GPU 100% of the time for extended periods to perform. Good luck with a better machine targeted more for your needs.

bkydcmpr

I do all of that as well. You seem to want to "hardcore game" on this thing even though you say you don't. It's not for you. 3D artist? I am. Audio/Video editor? I am. It's GREAT for those purposes. Adobe CC2014 user of the whole suite? I am. None of these use the CPU/GPU 100% of the time for to perform. Good luck with a better machine targeted more for your needs.
I think you will hit the bump soon or later. e.g. if you do video editing, you may need to encode your work in h.264 in order to let your customer to download it, then you will see the cpu run out of juice immediately.

honestly, I think sp3 was original designed for broadwell and changed the plan due to the marketing and management decisions, maybe something like "get sp3 out of the door in july or surface will get cut something like that".

megatronium

I think you will hit the bump soon or later. e.g. if you do video editing, you may need to encode your work in h.264 in order to let your customer to download it, then you will see the cpu run out of juice immediately.

honestly, I think sp3 was original designed for broadwell and changed the plan due to the marketing and management decisions, maybe something like "get sp3 out of the door in july or surface will get cut something like that".

Yes I convert to h.264. So it doesn't do that as well as you would like. That's one of the few case scenarios that is CPU based. An idea? Transfer the file to your class 10 micro SD which will be fast and run Handbrake on your desktop. Or deal with the fact that the SP3 i7 might not be the best for converting to h.264 and incorporate the additional time for that into your workflow.