What's new

SP3 I7 512GB charging heating issue

buers

Most probably, the heat is not from charging, but rather from the CPU. Often when plugging in the SP3, processes start (after a while) that use relatively high CPU load and for that reason also consume lots of power. These processes would drain the battery when not plugged in.

Processes I have seen started when plugging were virus scan, search indexing and at least one other thing I cannot identify totally (the well known system process with PID 4 using 25% of CPU for extended time).

You can check, by starting resmon, perfmon or task manager before charging.

The CPU is located on the right upper side of the SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
just curious have any noticed the right side gets warm to hot when charging and in use...i believe this is where the battery is located....why would the battery heat up so much if it is the battery
The battery is wide and flat and covers a good portion from the left side to past middle. the right side is the logic board. Most likely the charging circuit is heating while charging.

tx3hfUtuNCSpIaLY.jpg
Here you can see the battery removed and the logic board on the right.
TQOxX6BcgmqskCgK.jpg

cemian

Speaking of battery....I just hit my all time low in battery life...wasn't expecting such a fast drain by doing light to idle activity...checked cpu processes and was not going over 12% most of the time...
batterylow.PNG