What's new

SP3: leave plugged in?

jackpine

Just wondering what's best to do to maximize battery health long term? The store told me that keeping it plugged all the time will ruin the battery more quickly, but then if I don't keep it plugged it's always cycling...

any thoughts?

OP
J

jackpine

Thanks. I actually did read that thread, and the one linked, but it wasn't that clear and definitely wasn't clear on why the MS store employees told me to cycle...

ctitanic

Just wondering what's best to do to maximize battery health long term? The store told me that keeping it plugged all the time will ruin the battery more quickly, but then if I don't keep it plugged it's always cycling...

any thoughts?
In my opinion, leaving it plugged won't damage anything but MS recommend to drain it up to 10% once a month.

malberttoo

any thoughts?

Make sure you've purchased Microsoft Complete. Then forget about anything else battery related except discharging to 10% once a month.

If your battery starts to go bad in a year or whatever, cough up your $50 Complete deductible and get a new unit.

My .02.

Liam2349

Leaving it plugged in and always at 100% will degrade the battery faster.

You should drain the device until it auto-shuts down once per month to keep the battery calibrated, so that it gives you accurate battery life readings.

bluegrass

If my Surface is near an outlet, I plug in. That's my rule. I bought an extra power pack so I wouldn't need to worry about carrying one with me where ever I go. I left my Surface charging at home overnight. When I got her to work, I plugged in right next to my work desktop computer. It very rarely leave my side.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a question, which i know there isn't an answer for, but is just a thought.

While it seems understood that leaving it at 100% will degrade battery, you're also not using up a charge cycle. I wonder what the battery life difference is long term should you keep it plugged in with possbile degradation, compared to not doing that and eating through charge cycles instead. Swings and roundabouts?