What's new

Solved SP3 multi-mon dpi scaling tweak

ChrisPanzer

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say I am the new owner of a SP3 about a week ago, and have been so very frustrated with this issue at my office I can hardly stand it! I really cannot believe we have to go through so much just to achieve this. My purpose for this was primarily using the Surface's own display full-time. Did they really think we could use the native res @ 150% or even the miniscule 125%?? That's ridiculous. I can only see the native res. being used for graphical applications. Until a better work-around is figured out, I suppose Ill be sticking it out with 1440 x 960 for now @ 150%. It looks great, words are large enough to read easily 3' or so away from your face. Sometimes I scratch my head and think "What on EARTH were they thinking??" It's almost as if MS is filled with noting but savants; capable of amazing feats yet fail at the most simplistic of tasks. Oh well, anyway, thanks so much OP!

ChrisPanzer

Also, sorry I didn't mention this in my previous post, but Im looking for more "sweet spot" resolutions to try out. I suppose I am in search of the "holy grail" of resolutions for the Surface 3; A resolution that occupies ALL of the screen, keeps the scaling at 150% (for nice transitioning between external monitors), and also displays text/menus/etc. at a comfortable reading size.

I noticed that 1920 x 1280 is REALLY close at achieving resoluatory bliss; however, it still appears a bit too small. 1440 x 960 is nice and big, alas TOO darn big... What would I be looking for exactly, resolutions that follow the 3:2 aspect ratio? Suppose it's a bit of the "three bears" syndrome here.

OP
surfdock

surfdock

ChrisPanzer,

Everyone's eyes are a little different. What resolution monitor do you typically use on a desktop, what size is the monitor and far away from your face is it? With these 3 pieces of info, it should be easy to match that experience on the Surface.

All the "sweet spot" resolutions that preserve the aspect ratio (no black bars or stretching) are in the comments section on the MSDN blog post. You probably want 1728x1152 (125%).

BTW what problems are you running into running native res with 150% scaling? I've found most apps are working great out of the box. If there are particular applications that are having trouble, you should contact those vendors and ask them about hi-dpi support. Also take some pictures of what is frustrating you when using native res and 150% dpi-scaling and post them up here. There may be other workarounds specific to your applications.

Last edited:

ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer,

Everyone's eyes are a little different. What resolution monitor do typically use on a desktop, what size is the monitor and far away from your face is it typically? With these 3 pieces of info, it should be easy to match that experience on the Surface.

All the "sweet spot" resolutions that preserve the aspect ratio (no black bars or stretching) are in the comments section on the MSDN blog post. You probably want 1728x1152 (125%)
Thanks for that recommendation. I will try it. Ah, great, windows has already updated my display driver, time to repeat the whole process over again lol.

As far as my preference, well, for as long as I can remember I've always used 1920x1080 on monitors that ranged anywhere from 21" to 32". I feel most comfortable with iPad/iPhone display scaling (if that means anything). Why don't I have to worry about these types of nit-picky things with Apple devices? I want to desperately love my Surface, but Doggonit somwtimes MS makes it so difficult to!

Another example, why does my on screen keyboard ALWAYS appear on my iDevice after I click on a blank fillable field, yet with my Surface/windows 8 I'm constantly having to tap that damn keyboard button!! If I must, fine, but at least make accessing the OSK a swift, nimble swipe-up rather than having to zero-in on a tiny little button!! Arggghhhh! I know, off-topic I'm sorry...

Edit: Ok, so Ive tried the 1728 x 1152, but @ 125% is simply too small for my viewing pleasure. I can see everything just fine, but I deal with Excel spreadsheets often and I dont want to have to strain/squint to focus in on numbers. I have to go with 150% on my resolutions for them to be acceptable to me. Any idea what the perfect resolution would be for this scaling consideration? Thanks again, you guys r lifesavers!

Last edited:
OP
surfdock

surfdock

ChrisPanzer,

I am probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do. Can you put your Surface back to factory default settings/resolution and take a screenshot or picture with your cellphone of exactly what is wrong? Better yet take the picture next to another machine where everything looks just fine. It sounds like this tweak may not apply to you at all and you're having some other problem.

To answer your question, here are the equivalent non-native panel resolutions that correspond to different dpi scaling settings as posted on the blog:

"Here are some 3:2 aspect ratio resolutions you could add:
- 1080x720 (200%) 108 dpi (effective)
- 1200x800 (180%) 120 dpi (effective)
- 1440x960 (150%) 144 dpi (effective)
- 1728x1152 (125%) 172 dpi (effective)
- 1920x1280 (112.5%) 192 dpi (effective)
There may be subtle aliasing artifacts with these settings."

ChrisPanzer

Thanks for the response, surfdock. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I suppose I've already 'fixed' my initial issue with the scaling-related issue, but now my main gripe is really simply with the ridiculously small comparative size of everything, whilst using 2440 x 1440 @ 150%scaling. (125%, yeah, right. Forget about that!!) .

As you requested, I've taken a pic of my SP3 next to my ipad air. As you can see, everything appears 'normal' sized on the iPad, while everything is oh-so-tiny on the SP3. Why would they make a device where the default settings are very aggrivatingly small? I may not have 20/20 eyesight as in my youth, but I know 'small' when I look at it.

Also, what is exactly is the difference, from a 'normal' user standpoint, of, say, 1440x960 @ 150% scaling, or 2440x1440 @ 200% scaling?? What is the point of having the resolution so high, if users are just going to over-compensate by blowing everything up, anyway??

2hci154.jpg

2wd84no.jpg

157ksad.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You iPad doesn't use legacy apps, you're comparing legacy Win32 Code to Mobile Applications. Use the Modern UI IE and Apps and you will have a better tablet experience. The desktop will always be Mouse and Keyboard Driven.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's inexcusable is: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who knows only one way, cannot accept any deviation from that way and regards or treats another way with hatred and intolerance. :rolleyes:

ChrisPanzer

What's inexcusable is: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who knows only one way, cannot accept any deviation from that way and regards or treats another way with hatred and intolerance. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more. the types of people you so affectionately speak of should be castrated then gutted immediately! Who'dve thought things should just 'work'! what a revelation!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Chris we get it... you don't like Windows 8.1 and its UI. If you would use the MUI environment you will have a better experience. Or you can hope that Cupertino will give you an iPad Air 12 Pro and use Office for iPad and then you be able to do about 40% of what the SP3 can do but with your preferred UI.