What's new

SP3 Never enters deep sleep with Windows 10

I have tried on an upgraded machines as well as a fresh installed machine with the W10 driver pack installed. SP3 never enters deep sleep. Additionally it gets about 2-3 hours total life (85% standby). This is a new replacement unit that was obtained a week ago.

I know others are seeing crappy battery life with W10 on SP3, but this bad?

Anyone found anything that worked?

tsongx

These may help:
1. Settings--Privacy--Background Apps, turn all switches OFF.
2. Settings--System--Power & Sleep--Wi-Fi, uncheck that two boxes to disable Wi-Fi activities while asleep.

aras

I'm having the same issue. I upgraded my sp3 to win 10 then did a clean install from win10 settings. Ever since that my sp3 does not go into hibernation after 4 hours in standby like it would normally do in win 8.1.

With Win8.1 my SP3 always entered hibernate/connected standby after 4 hours. But since upgrading to W10, it has stopped doing it. It just stays in connected standby all day if not in use. I've run all of the battery reports and everything looks normal except it isn't entering hibernate/deep sleep. Anyone else encountering this? Anyone have a workaround?
Thanks & regards.

André Sousa

With Win8.1 my SP3 always entered hibernate/connected standby after 4 hours. But since upgrading to W10, it has stopped doing it. It just stays in connected standby all day if not in use. I've run all of the battery reports and everything looks normal except it isn't entering hibernate/deep sleep. Anyone else encountering this? Anyone have a workaround?
Thanks & regards.
Right-click Start Button > Power Options > Choose when the computer sleeps > Change advanced power options > [+] Sleep > [+] Hibernate After > On Battery: change to 240 Minutes.

Hope it helps. =D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 has a new Power Management subsystem (Hyper-V now supports Connected Standby), it appears that it bypassing the Power Management Firmware on the SP3 that puts into the Light Hibernation.

I would expect that an upcoming firmware update and Windows 10 driver update will re-enable this functionality.

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

I found something very interesting while testing the past few nights. I set both Hibernate settings as was previously mentioned in this thread. When plugged in over night it never entered hibernate. Last night I kept it unplugged and it did enter hibernate.

One other thing they need to fix here though. We don't need separate settings for Display and Sleep. They both do the same thing on a connected standby supporting machine. And in fact if you set one the other changes with it if you are increasing the duration.

For me I seem to be back to normal behavior and battery life. Moderately used the device all day on battery and then left it over night and I have 45% right now. The trick for me, clean install with the drivers from MS site installed before enabling networking and remove the SD card. When it was in, power management is FUBAR.

So may be a combination of having bad drivers and / or SD card inserted.

Hope springs eternal that in todays updates (They seem to update every Tues and Thurs) that they have an update for connected standby machines that also fixes the SD card battery drains. And would it hurt to fix the default applications section to allow us to set the calendar as the default for appointments. But I digress.

Last edited: