What's new

SP3 power on issue

BRD

Signed up for the forum to research my problem but it seems a lot of people have the same problem.. Do you think Microsoft will issue a recall for those of us who are having the power black screen issue?? They should.. I called them and they said mine was out of warranty to try the reset.. this is just crazy to think a SP3 just over 1yrs old will not work correctly. I have tried MS recommendations by holding down power for 30 secs.. then power + volume.. sometimes it will come back on.. sometimes it will not.. I have to keep trying for 15minutes or more before it will finally come on.. I have researched and turned off fast-start... turned off SLEEP and turned on Hibernation.. nothing seems to cure this problem..

When I do get it turned on it will work fine.. It shows it is 95% charged.. this is driving me crazy because I cannot rely on it to use it on a daily basis.. however my old ipad 2 still works fine and i rarely use it..

If there isn't a petition for a recall we should make one.. I see SP4s now with the same issues.. when does it stop??

anyone else having this issue..

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

You didn't say, but it sounds as if you are on Windows 10 so I'm moving this to the Windows 10 SP3 section. Let me know if that's not correct.

OP
B

BRD

yah.. its came with Win8 but i have indeed installed Win10.. it was doing it on Win8.. called microsoft.. they told me to restore it back.. which I did.. kept it like that for a month.. same thing happens.. thought I would try Win10 but same problem..

leeshor

There are so many working SP3s that don't have that problem I'm thinking you may have a faulty device. Electronics are finicky, they can fail in minutes, say, weeks or years. One never knows. Your problem does sound similar to issues people are having on Windows 10 but not on 8.1. Only similar.

OP
B

BRD

yes i understand that I work on computers but the funny thing is when I started to research this I found numerous people with similar issues where when they press power the keyboard lights up.. the screen remains black.. on both Win8 and Win10.. I seen a lot of people on reddit discussing different options as well but that thread kinda dried up with no real conclusions and this was over a year old

when I discussed it with Microsoft (after trying everything) they basically stated there might be a program that is causing the issue.. funny i had already formatted and reloaded windows 8.1 at that point and told them that and they basically stated it was out of warranty.. didnt offer any other advice.. if there was a known problem that they are aware of I would hope they would step up and correct it either repair or offer a replacement.. I had a few customers with similar issues within the last 6 months.. both SP3s one under warranty and the other 1 month out of warranty.. the one still under warranty MS replaced it..

leeshor

There have been some discussions here on solutions for s similar issue. One is to press Win+p - the other is to do a hard reset by holding the volume up and pressing the power button at the same time.

Honestly I wouldn't trust anything on Reddit.

OP
B

BRD

haha yah thats why i wanted to join here.. i have also tried those both of those as well.. sometimes it works.. few days later.. it goes back to black screen with keyboard lighting up.. i also got a brand new power cord to test.. still does it..

fallyn

Mine is doing the same, so annoying!

It started a few days ago and sometimes it runs, sometimes not. The keyboard illuminates but I have a black screen.

OP
B

BRD

Mine lately won't turn on.. just keyboard lights up.. so frustrating.. i really want it to work so I can use it to draw but its been days since I could get it to turn on :(

fallyn

Mine lately won't turn on.. just keyboard lights up.. so frustrating.. i really want it to work so I can use it to draw but its been days since I could get it to turn on :(
Mine too. On Tuesday I am taking it into a repair shop.