What's new

SP3 power source

lepatron

Hi, I am new here and new to SP3 so please bear with me.

Does anyone think that if your using your SP3 there is any problem leaving it plugged in while your using it. I've used my laptop like this for years without ever a problem but I'm brand new to the surface world and thought I'd ask.

Thank You,

John

Theoriginalgiga

Whenever I'm near power I'm connected. I've left my tablet on power for over a week and no problems. I don't think there would be a problem. I'm sure the charger/charging system is smart and won't overcharge the battery.

leeshor

It isn't a matter of over charging, it's more an issue with the charging cycles. As the level goes down it kicks in again and again which isn't the best for longevity.

Theoriginalgiga

true, but wouldn't it make sense that MS would take the same forward steps on charging systems as everyone else has? most systems now charge till full then switch the system over to AC power and not running it through the battery and keeping the charging cycles down. As I don't know the exact internal workings and it doesn't seem like we have any official MS engineers who designed it I'm going to assume that's the case. has anyone mentioned degraded battery usage? it's a lithiam ion battery which have better charging and power monitoring for the batteries than the old nickel metal hydrate batteries.the average number of charge cycles for a li battery is 300-500 charge cycles, these cycles are calcuated at full charge to full discharge. So trickle charged to top up the battery from say 70% would cause a lot less charge loss than a full discharge.

leeshor

But, when you do take it off the charger you should plan on allowing it to run down to around 30% or so before putting it back on charge and do that a few times a month at minimum. I can't begin to tell you haw many times I've run into people who couldn't hold a charge on their Lithium Ion batteries and asked me to get a replacement. If I ask them how they charge it, as if I didn't know the answer, they tell me they leave it on charge most of the time. I know 1 SP3 user already running into that problem. He takes his SP3 with him when he leaves his desk, 10-15 minutes later he plugs it back in again and he's seeing serious wear on the battery. I'm fairly certain I know why.

Theoriginalgiga

Here's a good article by gizmodo referring to the proper care of Li batteries. it's recommended you keep the battery above 50% while doing a full cycle once a month. doing it more could pose damage to the battery. It continues to say that keeping it fully topped up could pose damage as well. Generally speaking they key is to keep the battery cool to help prolong the life of it and keeping it on the charger seems to do less significant damage than multiple full discharge/recharges.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

**edit** I found another article referencing the SP3 design team AMA on reddit where they were asked the life expectancy of the battery saying you can charge it 5 days a week for over 4.5 years and maintain 80% of original capacity. Now I know that's wishful thinking but I think we'd be good at 3 years maintaining about 85% of original capacity. I'd post a link but it's to another forum and I don't want to break the rules.

Last edited:

leeshor

Your edit is marketing talking. It certainly isn't real life. Lots of people on this forum would dispute that big time.

Theoriginalgiga

Like I said, 4.5 years is a bit of a pipe dream but 3 years while retaining 85% of original power seems feasible. Additionally charging for 4.5 years at 5 days a week puts the cycles at 1170 which is just on the outside of some Li optimum charge cycles. All I'm saying is dependent on the usage, 3 years leaving on the charger most of the time is feasible that the battery won't degrade dramatically.