What's new

Poll SP3 Protection Poll

How do you protect your SP3?

• Folio Case (IE front and back book-like enclosure)

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Hard Case (IE like the Urban Armor case)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Screen Protector

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Screen Protector + Folio or Hard Case

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Naked

Votes: 59 63.4%

• Total voters

Donald King

Never seen the point in cases. I used to buy them for tablets, for the sole reason that tablets don't have kickstands. Now i'm free of them at last :)

I agree. I never use cases or screen protectors on my phones, tablets, or any other devices. The obvious reason on the Surface is the kickstand - it is far superior than any kickstand built into a case. The other reason I avoid cases is that a lot of really smart men and women spend a lot of time designing these products, and they pay a lot of attention on how they feel to hold and use - or the overall experience. And, I want to get the experience they intended, cases and screen protectors remove that experience. The SP3 is an amazingly built device and I love holding it in my hands. Of course, I do buy cases and screen protectors for all the devices I give to my children :)

Dblkk

I installed and use the Urban Gear Case. I love it, as im out in the field and it adds some heaft, extra grip, and sense of security. Now the case does add almost the same weight and size of a naked SP#, it feels like im holding a 12" SP1. The case has a kickstand with 5 angles, and I use at home/work/school and in every aspect of what I did before adding this case I haven't come across an angle/problem yet.

Now I would only recommend getting this big/bad case, if you need it. It adds weight and thickness. I have it, love it, but I feel I need it. As a electro mechanical engineer I use it on the production floor a lot when working with customers troubleshooting problems, and the added thickness and rubber feel make holding it easier.

For screen protector, I went without on my SP1 and SP2. But always ended up with scratches, most very small, and maybe 2 cracks very small on each device. Nothing that affected anything, but I knew. With my SP3, I was going to go without once again. I had the idea of getting one tumbling around my head as I added this thick heavy case so might as well go all out, but ive never been a fan of screen protectors, so I never did. But, within 1 week, I noticed several very small scratches on the screen. So went to Best Buy and picked up the Zaag glass shield for SP3. Installed it twice (spider web cracked the first one while installing). But now that its on, I haven't noticed any additional glare or fingerprints, absolutely no pen problems (im on the pen 6-8 hours a day), and its really like its not even on.

I would recommend the Zaag glass screen cover to everyone. It doesn't add anything negative other than the $50 price. No glare/finger prints/pen problems/touch problems, nothing. And it only protects from those small scratches and nics.

absresin

I use the BobjGear 10'' tablet case. Polycarbonite bottom. My SP3 with type cover fits perfectly. Worth a look for good protection while transporting.

JohnR

When I bought my SP3 I received the Maroo Sleeve for free and this is what I use when on the road (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...o-3-sleeve-brown-grey-mr-ms3307/10320394.aspx).

Week ago purchased Phantom Glass Premium Screen Protection System (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-) and it works very well but the size doesn't fix SP3 screen very well. It is about 1/8" too short horizontally assuming you look at the unit position in the portrait orientation.

I also purchase the MoKo Microsoft Slim Folding Cover Case (http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CK8QRUC/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1) but after one day I decided to use Maroo Sleeve. Nothing worn this the case just my personal preference is the sleeve. If anyone in Toronto area like to pick it up for free please let me know.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the type cover and a metricUSA sleeve which doesn't fit into any of the options on the poll as it's basically like wetsuit type material. It gives good protection from minor knocks and scrapes.

Cambo

I just use a stickerboy skin and that's it. I bought an urban ARMOR GEAR cover but took it off after a day as although its a great case, it is just too bulky for me. Part of the sp3 appeal was its slimness.

I wouldn't mind adding a skin to the sp3 if it makes it more grippy feeling, otherwise I hate cases and never use screen protectors

BearFlag

I carry it naked in my messenger bag. If I purchased the Microsoft Complete Coverage with my Surface 3 Pro, do I really need a screen protector?