What's new

SP3 Reviews

Unix82

Can any one please advise what are the details of power adapter? in terms of output Voltage and output Ampere?

leeshor

Here is a fair and mostly complimentary review from PC World

Through every iteration, Microsoft’s Surface Pro tablet has edged closer to becoming a true laptop replacement. Microsoft’s latest Surface Pro 3 takes several small steps in that direction—along with one giant, game-changing leap. Sure, you’ll still need to make a few compromises, but Surface Pro 3 can legitimately cover your notebook and tablet needs in a single package.

You’ll immediately notice the larger display. The Surface Pro 2’s display measures 10.6 inches diagonally and has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. Microsoft kicked up everything in the Surface Pro 3: The display is 38 percent bigger at 12 inches in diagonal width, and its 2160x1440-pixel resolution is breathtakingly crisp. Just as importantly, Microsoft’s shift to a 3:2 aspect ratio for the Surface Pro 3 adds 1.12 inches of vertical real estate to what already is a wider tablet. The result is a more luxurious, productive work space—and that’s key when you’re multitasking in a desktop environment.

There are numerous other upgrades behind the scenes. Though physically larger in terms of screen dimensions, Microsoft trimmed 0.24 pounds and 0.23 inches of width from the Surface Pro 2 to create the new tablet. Yet there’s still a full range of Core processors in the Surface lineup, including a Core i7 that somehow manages to live harmoniously in a 0.3-inch form factor.

Read more here Microsoft Surface Pro 3 review: A legitimate work PC in tablet clothing | PCWorld

kristalsoldier

From that PC World review:

"Fewer pixels also tend to mean more battery life. Microsoft claims eight hours of battery life during casual use, but our own in-house battery tests—which entail a continuous mix of scripted Office use and video playback—brought the Surface Pro 3 to its knees after 4 hours, 18 minutes. That falls short of our result with the smaller Surface Pro 2, which shut down after 4 hours, 44 minutes.""
I thought MS said 10 (or was it 9) hours of web browsing, which is infinitely more taxing than just using Office!

thegrinch

From that PC World review:

I thought MS said 10 (or was it 9) hours of web browsing, which is infinitely more taxing than just using Office!

Unless I missed it, I didn't see any other comparisons to other devices on the same test. They said "scripted" Office use which is a bit cryptic - To me, that means they're using Office's own API's or VBA. In either case, I'd consider office use more taxing than general web browsing when you consider the amount of services Office uses behind the scenes. Just IMO.

leeshor

I see Office 365 having the potential to slow things down, consume more battery and generally be slower than if you ere either using 2013 or 365 without the syncing to Microsoft.

kristalsoldier

I see Office 365 having the potential to slow things down, consume more battery and generally be slower than if you ere either using 2013 or 365 without the syncing to Microsoft.

Not really, the energy expenditure for having O365 running and for the associated sync process is minimal. By this I mean to say that while there is definitely an expenditure, it is not enough to impact the battery as much as what the PC World review suggests even with other processes (including Connected Standby) running. There must be something off with how PC World did their analysis - could be that they had the brightness of the screen way up or something like that. Or, they could have got a faulty unit. But this is worth looking into IMO.

Edit: Take a look at this - MS gets on Reddit and MJF provides an interesting summary: http://www.zdnet.com/more-microsoft-surface-pro-3-tidbits-battery-life-power-and-more-7000029901/

Note the reference to the battery! This may explain the very short lifespan of the battery that the PC World review was referring to! The more I read about the SP3, the more I like it!

Last edited:

leeshor

That mostly may be true - or not. I participate on quite a few forums, tablets and phones, and WiFi alone is one of the biggest battery drains aside from the screen. Not only that but the combination of the WiFi and the active network connection will heat, (maybe not much) the tablet up more than otherwise and heat is wasted energy. I never claimed you could see the battery meter go down just being on the network and syncing but I can assure you it will use more energy from somewhere. Blue Tooth is also in the top 3 battery users. (I discount the internal storage here as standby and in use the drain really is so close as to be insignificant on an SSD). With that said everyone will have different results for any number of reasons.

CrippsCorner

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-surface-pro-3-review-if-you-had-to-be-a-86496376264.html

THIS.

Yahoo, of all sources, gets it right. The video at the top should be Microsoft's new ad for the SP3. I find it hilarious/infuriating when people line up around the block to buy the new apple iPad/MacBook Air when it's an uncompetitive piece of technology that is overpriced.

Saved to read later on. The video is kind of cringy but tbh can't complain about it, it's absolutely true! Although I still think iPad to Surface Pro isn't the right comparison...

bamaster

Gizmodo review
Surface Pro 3 Review: The Greatest Laptop-Tablet Hybrid You Don't Need

It doesn't sound like a stamp of approval, but I think it's a really good review and makes me want it even more. His complaints aren't really problems. Who really thinks the 2-step process to open the SP3 (lifting the screen and then folding out the kickstand) is a deal breaker against the traditional laptop (just lift the screen)? I don't understand that.

I'm still excited about getting this!

kundas1

they (the apple luving critics) will find even the LITTLEST and dumbest thing to complain about, I mean picking on the fact that you have to open the kick stand? (which you don't if U don't want too) REALLY?!! wait what does the ipad have? ohh wait it doesn't have a kick stand! sorry but the kick stand is 1 of the reasons for buying my S2. lol