What's new

SP3, running Win 10 fresh install, high system process

Dblkk

I've updated my SP3 to windows 10 via fresh install of .iso a few days after it became available, and I use the surface daily (6-10 hours). Took a phone call with Microsoft to upgrade my windows 'key' to 10 but it was worth it. Problem I'm having, is all day yesterday and today, with no user programs/apps running, system fan is on and warm. Inside taskbar it shows system process running 14% cpu, and system interrupts running 7% cpu. Together with a few other backround tasks, this is equaling 25-35% cpu usage.

Anyone know what is going on or a fix?

OP
D

Dblkk

I'll also note, this isn't just a temporary thing. It's the entire time the surface is on which today has been over 10 hours. The fan never stops, and these 2 process's never slow down. All drivers and windows updates are 100% up to date, I am not however on the insider program anymore so technically I'm on the slow ring for updates. I've also restarted it several times, and let it sit powered off all night.

Biggest problem I'm having, is that I use it for one note and the pen, and am trying to take notes. Even with screen at 25%, the system is honestly warm at a bothersome level.

OP
D

Dblkk

So doing some real digging on this forum. I found someone talking about having to play music even on mute, as their issue was with realtech audio driver. After having tried several others, like removal of sd card, I tried this. Booted up 'groove music', yes i know but this is a very lean running system, and low and behold, down to 5% cpu utilization down from no less than 25% before. Fan might actually stop running and perhaps it'll cool down enough for me to actually touch the device again.

Or you can also use iHeartRadio app to keep the audio driver busy. It's just as efficient as Groove Music in music playback. Anyways I don't have issues with constant high CPU usage on Windows 10 and when I had 8.1.