What's new

SP3 Says "Plugged In Not Charging "in the battery notification

Austin Blum

Hi All,

Just bought a SP3 a week or so ago and everything is awesome on this! The only problem is just last night I went to charge it and then woke up this morning showing I had 7% battery with it saying "plugged in, not charging". Any ideas on this one? Should I take it to the Microsoft Store or Best Buy where I bought it?

Thanks for the help!

Eclectified

I had something like that happen with my Galaxy S3. I was using the camera to capture a really long video and the low battery warning came on. I stopped recording and immediately went to plug it in and got the same message, but in my situation there was an explanation.

The battery was too hot to charge.

Is your Surface charging fine now? Was it hot at all when you went to charge it?

OP
A

Austin Blum

No wasn't hot at all. Went to shut it down for the night and charged it. Thought all was good as the light came on. When I got up this morning it was at 7% with the plugged in not charged saying in the battery notification area. It looks like this happened fairly often with the SP2, and a hard reset / shutdown resolved it. I think I may try that when I get home.

OP
A

Austin Blum

I shut it down then turned it back on holding the power button + volume + button. Now it starts and the battery indicator is saying "battery not detected". I am thinking I should take this in to get it looked at. I bought it at Best Buy should I go there or to a Microsoft Store?

Thanks!

OP
A

Austin Blum

Didn't see you thread. Good info, thanks!

Do I need to uninstall Microsoft Office then? And how to reset device back to default before exchanging it?

Thanks!

ipaq_101

Didn't see you thread. Good info, thanks!

Do I need to uninstall Microsoft Office then? And how to reset device back to default before exchanging it?

Thanks!

Uninstall MS office, because you will have issues with putting it on a new machine, I think the license is only for one or 2 machines.

Happened to me and I had to call and go through an entire process to key in a code to get the license active on the new machine.