What's new

sp3 specs

Nuspieds

Well, until next Tuesday, it is still a guessing game.

I was expecting an SP3 in the Fall/Winter, not Spring, so it would truly surprise me if they announced an SP3 next week. But even if they do, it still leaves me pondering what they will release by year-end for Thanksgiving/Christmas.

I can't help but believe that there must be more SP-related hardware goodies coming by year-end, so that's what makes me reluctant to buy any new SP hardware now.

EMINENT

Rumor: Surface Pro 3 CPU and RAM specs, as well as pricing revealed as May 20th nearsWritten by Ron on May 17, 2014, 04:32PM

On May 20th, Microsoft is set to hold an event in New York City where the company is rumored to announce the highly-anticipated Surface Mini. The company is also rumored to unveil the Surface Pro 3 and new details have surfaced providing us with partial specs, color options, and pricing.
Apparently, Microsoft will announce five versions of the Surface Pro 3, all with various configurations and pricing. The Surface Pro 3 is rumored to have a smaller bezel, a larger screen size (possible 12-inch), and the Windows button located on the vertical side of the device (rather than the horizontal). No word on the weight, battery life, and exact screen size. The partial specs and pricing are as follows:
•i3-4GB RAM-64GB - $799
•i5-4GB RAM-128GB - $999
•i5-8GB RAM-256GB - $1299
•i7-8GB RAM-256GB - $1549
•i7-8GB RAM-512GB - $1949
Larger Type Covers are also rumored to go along with these new Surface options, and they include a Black, Purple, Cyan, and Red option. The Red color option is reportedly a Microsoft exclusive and may be limited to Microsoft Stores.
We'll be on hand during the Surface event on May 20th, so stay tuned. In the mean time, how do you like these specs and pricing options?

Via:
WPCentral

$1949 is outrageous.

Who wants another Haswell variant? I sure as hell don't.

What the hell are they doing? Where the hell is Broadwell?

They must not want my money. Looks like i'll only be getting the Surface mini then.

I wish we could get an i5 fanless, active bezel in a weight and form factor thinner and lighter than S2. I'd drop some serious coin then.

Surface 4, where you at?

Last edited:

BakedZnake

No it isn't:

Comparable MacBook Pro - $2,499

Comparable-ish dell Ultrabook (they don't do a spec that high) - $1749

If I wanted a ultra book, I'll get an ultra book. I want the surface pro to aim for better portability on this productive tablet, not some toy with bigger screen, more weight, and drains the battery faster. Also whats with all these stupid, impossible requests for fan less i5 and i7 variants, I want the back of my surface pro to be molded to the shape of scarlett johansson's breats but that isnt going to happen. There aren't any tablets which uses i5 or i7 that are fanless, the tech isnt there to make it possible, if you want fan less go atom based cpu.

kevinlevrone

I said it multiple times, a Surface Pro with larger screen and smaller bezels is exactly what Microsoft needs to really succeed. And is exactly what I need, too. I use my SP2 exclusively for both work and home, and it does the job incredibly well. However, a larger screen (AND smaller bezels !) would provide more comfort, as well as a larger keyboard (with permanent function keys) and an extra USB port.

But I am used to my purchases making some sort of financial sense, and selling my SP 2 at (probably) a huge loss really doesn't...also knowing that Intel Broadwell is around the corner is another problem, the new tablet would be obsolete in 4-5 months since purchase, when I am sure that Dell and Lenovo will finally get their act together and release a real Surface Pro alternative with Intel Broadwell (for me it doesn't matter the brand but more the form factor).

So I will probably wait until my current Surface Pro 2 will have helped me enough. Or...maybe not :)

I'm surprised how well this 5i w/8GB ram is treating me. What MS needs to do is:
1) Make it lighter with a longer battery life.
AND/OR and not in this order
2) Add one more USB 3.0
3) Faster video card with a good power save mode when not needed.
4) Higher resolution screen.
5) Support better screen scaling. Apple did that right once they moved to retina. No new computer should be sold with a screen resolution less than 1024x768. Think ahead and at least scale correctly to HD resolution.
6) Support the WACOM pens natively so it plays nice with windows and other software that doesn't support the Wacom pens. I noticed if you don't install the Wacom drivers, the pen works great with 90% of all the programs. But then it's just a pen. With Wacom support, I love photo editing. But now the pen doesn't behave well in windows as well as it used to.
I saw the extended keyboard battery combo. It made it very thick and heavier. I would've bought it if the keyboard lighted up, but it took a step backwards. It's like they made the battery keyboard back when they made the original keybards but never released it because they didn't believe the Surface 1 would sell.

Last edited:
With Intel being late there's nothing good that can come out of this "refresh". Whatever they upgrade it will be always mean a reduction in some other metric.

Personally I still doubt they're going to do this. Besides, pricing lists on day 1???? I don't think this is Microsoft we're talking about.

No it isn't:
Comparable MacBook Pro - $2,499
]
Why didn't you mention the highest specced 13'' MacBook Air, which is $1749 "only" and has i7+512+8GB?
Besides, I would say that when your prices are even comparable to Apple's, there's already something terribly wrong.

daniielrp

With Intel being late there's nothing good that can come out of this "refresh". Whatever they upgrade it will be always mean a reduction in some other metric.

Personally I still doubt they're going to do this. Besides, pricing lists on day 1???? I don't think this is Microsoft we're talking about.

Why didn't you mention the highest specced 13'' MacBook Air, which is $1749 "only" and has i7+512+8GB?
Besides, I would say that when your prices are even comparable to Apple's, there's already something terribly wrong.

The Air has a lower resolution screen (non-retina) and I would expect a SP3 to have a "Retina" class display.

And I disagree entirely with the compatible to Apple statement, by most figures Apple's laptop's are the best selling year on year (obviously not for market share, but the number of laptops they sell is greater than the numbers sold by the likes of Microsoft, Dell or HP etc). I wouldn't call that "something wrong". If you have a product that is the best in class, I see no problem in selling it at a premium.

The Air has a lower resolution screen (non-retina) and I would expect a SP3 to have a "Retina" class display.
Well, the PPI's not known yet. But if you think so then you should have used the 13incher Retina as reference, which is ... $1999.

If you have a product that is the best in class, I see no problem in selling it at a premium.
Yes. That's exactly why the pricing is wrong. "If you have a product consumers believe to be the best in class...".