What's new

SP3 @ Starbucks

qwertyy

I wonder why not many people are using SP3. I'm a student and when I look around in lectures, I see all these apple logos everywhere. I, too, own a macbook pro retina but I purchased a SP3 after watching one video on youtube (it looked that awesome). I just thought this device would be ideal for students taking notes in class. I have yet to try taking notes myself (I'm still waiting for the type cover) but I'm sure it's going to be awesome. I'd really love to see more people using SP3 in class :)

Aegeas

It is the perfect answer for students, but it is too expensive for them unless they get the i3 which many people regard as weak when it is actually an outstanding processor. I myself went with a more expensive version to future proof me for a little while longer. Students can get an i7 laptop for the same price as an i5 SP3. They don't know what they are leaving on the table, but the price in the end weighs out and thus what you see.

raqball

I think the lack of an included keyboard is also hurting SP3 sales.

When I was at Best Buy purchasing mine there was a young couple also asking about the SP3. When they found out they had to buy a keyboard for $130 they said no thanks and walked over to the traditional laptop area.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Aegeas

Completely agree. That there is no cover like the iPad Smart Cover that connects magnetically at the bottom to cover the screen just tells me that they are trying to force you to buy the full-blown type cover.

If they weren't including the keyboard as a matter of personal style choice, then for the SP3 price premium the unit would include a simple non-keyboard cover just like the iPad has available. Since there is no simple inexpensive non-keyboard cover then you have to buy the $130 type cover.

In my opinion this is clearly a poor decision on the part of MS. I have posted here in the past my anger over this subject. I enjoy my SP3, but I HATE having to buy their damned type cover just to protect my screen and I will wager it has stopped sale after sale after sale.

raqball

The Keyboard not included is a red herring, when you compare the costs of an Ultrabook with the same specs and a SP3 with Type Cover they are around the same price...

Acer Aspire S7 - $1600
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MG4AA.013

SP3 - $1680
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...90600?Icid=Homepage_Hero_1_SurfacePro3_091514

Since the target is someone who wants a Tablet as well, Ultrabook +Tablet (Assuming Cheap Android or Win 8 Tablet) The combo would be well over $1800

I fully agree with you but I also think the lack of an included keyboard has resulted in lost sales.

I'm my case I made out like a bandit! My SP3 was $1,300 and the type cover was $130 for a total of $1,430 for a very capable laptop and a tablet. A killer deal indeed!

Now compare my previous laptop and tablet setup. My late 2013 MacBook Pro retina was $1,500 and my Note Pro 12.2 was $650 for a total of $2,150.

Clearly from a financial standpoint the SP3 with type cover is night and day cheaper than my previous setup but do people consider this when buying? I do but the couple I previously mentioned who walked off at the thought of having to spend the extra $130 clearly did not factor everything in..

Aegeas

Go to your local Best Buy. People are comparing the SP3 to tablets, not laptops. When you can get a cheap tablet for $400 their brains don't put the SP3 in the more expensive class of device unless there is a keyboard already attached to it. I am embarrassed to admit I went through 7 laptops before I settled on the SP3, but it took genuine interest on my part to do more than a perfunctory exam of the SP3. I had to know beforehand that the SP3 was like a real laptop instead of just a fancy tablet and the sales personnel in stores are much more likely to recommend a traditional device for the price premium.

kundas1

well I gotta agree about the high price, I didn't buy the SP1 or SP2 because it was just to much for a tablet, which lets be honest there is other tablets with win 8 for far less and people don't understand that the cpu in those other tablets don't compare to the Surface... so I bought myself the RT and luved it so much that I swallowed the high price and bought the SP3 and honestly glad that I did! but if I didn't get the keyboard for free due to an error that BB had to honor for a previous fiasco then I wouldn't have bought it either... it's just way to much when U factor everything in... thats why poeple opt for the laptop rather a SP3... plus all the crapy advertising or almost non doesn't help MS either... no it's people like sean ONG who take the time to make awesome vids of what the SP2/3 can really do!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
BestBuy employees much like Carrier Store Employees have a predisposition towards Cr@pple or Android Devices when it comes to phones and tablets, Microsoft has a Training Programs for both but it is up to the Store Managers to enforce the adherence to completing it...

Take Apple's iPad number 1 accessory purchase, keyboards...they range anywhere from $100-$200 with an average of $130...

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164210/buying-guide-find-the-best-ipad-keyboard.html

raqball

but if I didn't get the keyboard for free due to an error that BB had to honor for a previous fiasco then I wouldn't have bought it either... it's just way to much when U factor everything in... thats why poeple opt for the laptop rather a SP3... plus all the crapy advertising or almost non doesn't help MS either... no it's people like sean ONG who take the time to make awesome vids of what the SP2/3 can really do!

I purchased the keyboard but since I mainly use the SP3 as a tablet for home use the keyboard has not gotten much use at all from me. Was it worth the $130 ($140 after tax) for me? I'd say yes even though I've only used it a few times. The convenience factor makes it worthwhile.

I've seen a lot of Microsoft commercial lately. Mainly for the SP3 and the HTC M8. I find the commercials that I've seen at least to be well done and a bit on the funny side..

BestBuy employees much like Carrier Store Employees have a predisposition towards Cr@pple or Android Devices when it comes to phones and tablets, Microsoft has a Training Programs for both but it is up to the Store Managers to enforce the adherence to completing it...

Take Apple's iPad number 1 accessory purchase, keyboards...they range anywhere from $100-$200 with an average of $130...

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164210/buying-guide-find-the-best-ipad-keyboard.html

At the Best Buy that I went to there was an actual Microsoft rep patrolling the area. I asked her if she was a MS or Best Buy employee and she said MS.. I don't visit Best Buy often but went there to play around with the SP3 before purchasing. My last visit to this Best Buy was probably a year and a half ago.

On my previous visit the Apple area was rather large and prominently displayed in the store. On this most recent visit the Apple area had been pushed into a small corner in the back. Samsung had a large area towards the front of the store and the Microsoft area was fairly large and on display at the front of their PC location..

I don't have an issue with buying the SP3 keyboard separately but some do / will and maybe MS needs to do a better job marketing the device and the type cover. One issue is that the keyboard is shown in commercials / marketing then the customer finds out it's an extra $130.

olimjj

Perhaps the marketing for the advertised standard unit should instead be with the type cover included, albeit at a higher price, with an alternate purchase option that would omit it, as a second choice for less money. This not a new marketing scheme, and whether psychologically convincing or not, it offers a second choice for less money instead of one that would finally cost more.