What's new

SP3 @ Starbucks

malberttoo

I use my TypeCover every single day, but there are people who pride themselves (@ctitanic :D) on never using one at all!

It would be foolish of Microsoft to include such an expensive accessory with every single SP3, when many of them would be completely wasted.

Now I will say that it would probably be good if MS did include some kind of el-cheapo, magnetic cover that just protected the screen when you were carrying it around. But that being said, no does that, including Apple. You want a cover for your iPad, go buy it.

raqball

I use my TypeCover every single day, but there are people who pride themselves (@ctitanic :D) on never using one at all!

That is one of the beauties of the SP3. While I'd never consider using the pen in the manner that he does, it's pretty awesome to have that option. The SP3 really can be used so many different ways.

It would be foolish of Microsoft to include such an expensive accessory with every single SP3, when many of them would be completely wasted.

Now I will say that it would probably be good if MS did include some kind of el-cheapo, magnetic cover that just protected the screen when you were carrying it around. But that being said, no does that, including Apple. You want a cover for your iPad, go buy it.

I doubt the type cover cost MS anywhere even close to the $130 price tag but I agree that it does not to be included IF Microsoft did a better job in marketing / advertising the product.

When at Best Buy there were 10 or 12 SP3's on display and every single one of them had a type cover attached. The commercials I've seen don't appear to say 'Keyboard sold separately" or maybe it does in tiny text that unreadable and / or unnoticeable..

I've personally seen one sale fail because the people assumed the type cover was included. After finding out they needed to spend more, they walked away.

olimjj

You missed my point. You would have the option to order it without. It would be the order of purchasing presentation that would change. If you don't need one, you choose that option and "save money;)" In this scheme you have an option that cost less rather than one that cost more. I have seen this approach used many times before.

Last edited:

malberttoo

You missed my point. You would have the option to order it without. It would be the order of purchasing presentation that would change. If you don't need one, you choose that option and "save money;)" In this scheme you have an option that cost less rather one that cost more. I have seen this approach used many times before.

My bad, you are absolutely right!

I go to Starbucks once in a while, not really a big coffee drinker and I'm in Bellevue WA (about 1.3 miles from MS campus) but I haven't noticed any SP3's when I was in there. I've had a few co-workers notice it and ask me about it; when they ask the price I tell them the range and their eyes kind of bug out. I have to basically do a demo to explain that the device is a tablet or a laptop once you connect the type cover, it has a touch screen, it has a digital pen and it's a full blown computer WITH an app store in an incredibly thin/sleek/light weight design. It's not until I point out all the features do they starting understanding the cost associated with the device. Like others have said MS has not done a very good job at marketing the product and I agree that the type cover should be included. When I mention to people that it's not included and it's another $130 they start to roll their eyes.

Tsurugaya

The problem is that the Type Cover looks like a $45 item, no matter its sophistication. It looks like Microsoft is trying to recover a loss on the Surface.

Tsurugaya

I'm not saying there are worse options, I just don't think the Type Cover's price is justifiable. Doesn't mean there aren't lots of people willing to pay it though.