What's new

Sp3 suddenly draining battery overnight

DocACE911

I7/256

Had this working great since August. Suddenly last week after patxh tuesday overnight (yes it seems off with the type cover) the batter goes to zero.

Any trouble shooting steps? Is this sleep not working right? When I close the type cover it seems to go off. Even tried clicking the power button to force sleep

OP
DocACE911

DocACE911

Yes, I have rebooted. I have shutdown. All updates present. Checked task manager and no background task is running

Last night: shutdown
Charged to full (well 5 hours of charge)
Booted
Full battery
Sleep

In morning had battery warning indicator (so 10 hours)

Liam2349

I'm not sure what causes this. You can see exactly how much is draining if you run CMD as admin and type "powercfg /sleepstudy". This will save to system32, and you will have to move it somewhere else to open it. Alternatively, type something like "cd c:\users\USERNAME" and then run the sleepstudy, and it will save to this directory instead of the default system32.

Mine often uses what I would call an abnormal amount of power in sleep, and sometimes it behaves. I find that shutting it down every night helps most of the time, but I haven't found a way to properly resolve this issue.

Dblkk

Ive had same thing twice now. And it was all a driver update that needed to reboot. Go into control panel, then windows updates, then check installed updates. If there needs to be a reboot, then swipe in from right, hit power button from there, and there should be a update and restart. Sometimes the update and restart doesn't show up any other way.

If none of that works or is the problem. Download the wireless drivers and save to your device (don't install). Then fully uninstall the wireless drivers. restart. Then install the previously downloaded wireless drivers.

Between those two, its been 100% effective for me.

nipponham

Do the sleep study that Liam recommended to find the source of the problem and do a battery analysis as well to make sure that there are no errors or warnings issued.