What's new

SP3 touch screen AND keyboard not working

boelitz

I have a 3 month old Surface Pro 3 and it worked last night and inexplicably both the touch screen and the keyboard stopped working. I have tried hard restart about 10 times, 2different Surface keyboards, and nothing works to fix lack of any input recognition whatsoever. Any thoughts?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The phrase "worked last night" sounds suspicious.
Water damage / dropped / external damage? Did someone borrow it?

If none of these, then warranty replacement is in order.

OP
B

boelitz

See start screen and then typical Seattle skyline pic. Touch or enter won't open login screen. Just tried stylus and that works sporadically, not on picture password but does with type on screen password.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try making sure power is connected.
Then remove the keyboard, and press and hold both Power and Volume Up.

r0b123

Do you have a USB keyboard and mouse to rule out general input issues? If it does work, you might check to see if you have the latest firmware and software updates.

OP
B

boelitz

Stylus works, but not finger or keyboard. Did hard shut down then pressed vol up with on button for 15 secs. Start flashed then nothing. Waited 10 secs and restart and touch and keyboard not work but stylus does.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Can you login with the stylus an on-screen keyboard? We need to get to PC Settings / Update and Restore / Refresh

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do the two finger start up, completely power down wait 30,seconds, now holding the volume rocker up press the power button, when the Surface Logo comes up let go of the volume rocker . Now you are in the UEFI screen, make no changes and exit let it reboot.

If this does work, do a reset .

rodmartinelli

Hi . I have experiencing some trouble to setup my surface cover keyboard. It is a new device and has never worked. It appears in device manager as HID Keyboard but not Surface Cover . Tried to uninstall drivers and reinstall but still unsucessful. Tried to "reset" drivers by holding Volume up + Power button for 10 seconds but it has just took me to bios menu. Does anyone knows if there is a different way to reset drivers or to change HID Keyboard driver to Surface proper driver? Thanks.