What's new

SP3 USB3 slow with Lexar S45 USB stick

SMP_Homer

Purchased a Lexar S45 128 GB memory stick - very tiny - bought it for speed and how compact it is, main idea to leave plugged in to SP3

I have an old Dell XPS 17 that I purchaed almost 6 years ago - test results on that were 140/95 (R/W)
I have this new-to-me Surface Pro 3, i7/8GB, and the test results are 37/35
Same SP3, but used one of the USB ports from the MS Dock for it (the newest one) and speeds shoot way up to 150/110

Went out and picked up a 2nd Lexar memory stick, and it too pretty much matches all the above!

Anything I can do to the SP3 to get the USB port perform better? Everything else I've thrown at it seems to be running at the expected speed

OP
S

SMP_Homer

Not sure what happened... there were several reboots/restarts over the last couple of days, but upon restarting today, Windows gave me the 'detected new hardware' notification when it started up with the stick in the port, and 1 speed test later, 127/112

OP
S

SMP_Homer

and now back to slow reads ONLY for the Lexas S45 sticks - everything else I throw in there is showing expected speeds!

OP
S

SMP_Homer

picked up a cheap usb3 hub - Lexar stick speeds rock! - through that same port, using a hub helps, no hub, no speeds!