What's new

SP3 vs SP4

mtalinm

I had pretty much decided to pass on sp4, given all the trouble sp3 has given me (3 replacements, countless disk wipes).

but if the following rumors are true, I may reconsider:
* 16G memory and 1T disk
* faster chip without crazy spinning fan (note: does NOT have to be fanless to be an improvement)
* bezel-less 13"ish screen on existing chassis in desktop mode
* when flipped to portrait mode, simulated bezel where edges of the screen stay dark except for "soft" windows button at the bottom (switches based on your orientation)
* thinner (can just have a shim to make it fit in current Dock, or hold it toward you when docking)
* "keyboard dock" that makes it truly lappable and adds most of the ports you get with normal dock, yet not so bulky/heavy.

daveyp

It's been speculated that it will share the same form factor as the SP3. It'd be nice if the screen was a little larger but fit the same footprint. I do not believe this will be a tempting upgrade for a happy SP3 user. However, I'm interested as I dropped my poor baby and the screen now has a little yellowing in the upper left hand corner.

CrippsCorner

Come on. Ballmer's "Developers, Developers, Developers" rant was a classic. :)

I would argue for the wrong reasons ;) but, heh, he's kind of a legend in his own right!

d580034f-4d23-440d-ace4-7d46741f8a53_ballmer-1.gif

OP
J

Johnny365

So certain SP4 specific features like Type Cover will be backwards compatible with the SP3. What about the new Surface Pen?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, there's a custom chip in the SP4 that improves Touch and Pen interaction so ... the Pen should not be as good on the SP3.

OP
J

Johnny365

What is also intriguing is that from a few sources, I hear that the ram is expandable in the SP4? Does that mean the back plate can be removed?