What's new

SP3 wakes up by itself and takes photos.

altont

This has happened twice now. I have my sp3 with the typecover closed and lying on the coffee table. Then it'll just start making the "camera shutter" noise and I open it up and sure enough, its taking pictures all by itself.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Not sure if its a Win8.1 problem or a sp3 problem.

BillJ

It sound like aliens have taken over your device and are gathering intelligence for their attempt to take over the universe...

Or, more likely, a glitch in 8.1. Sounds like a reset/reinstallation of Windows is in order

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps a malware scan is in order...
Only loosely related: some kids were photoed by school spying software... lawsuit ensued... school was smacked down... :)

kundas1

It sound like aliens have taken over your device and are gathering intelligence for their attempt to take over the universe...

Or, more likely, a glitch in 8.1. Sounds like a reset/reinstallation of Windows is in order

no actually it's the Chinese! they hacking into everything nowadays!

raqball

My money is going to have to be on malware / hacked but Aliens, the Chinese, and the CIA are all viable options.. :p

ctitanic

This has happened twice now. I have my sp3 with the typecover closed and lying on the coffee table. Then it'll just start making the "camera shutter" noise and I open it up and sure enough, its taking pictures all by itself.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Not sure if its a Win8.1 problem or a sp3 problem.
Welcome aboard! Sounds like a virus, there are virus designed to take pictures and send it back to a server. That's how some of pictures end in wrong hand so I hope that you were not naked on front of your Sp3.

BillJ

Just curious,

Would a factory reset of Windows 8.1 result in clearing a device of malware? Or are there malware forms that would survive such a process, and continue to plague the operator?

OP
A

altont

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a virus, there are virus designed to take pictures and send it back to a server. That's how some of pictures end in wrong hand so I hope that you were not naked on front of your Sp3.

I don't see how its a virus. I've not been anywhere "shady."
Just scanned with defender...nothing.
Speaking from my rear-end, I think its driver issue or a Win8 issue. Maybe?

Thats not the only issue. Sometimes when I log in, it won't go to the desktop/start screen, it'll just show the background color on screen. Hitting the physical windows button does nothing. I have to hit the power button to turn off the screen and repeat the process of logging in. The most I had to do it consecutively to login successfully was twice.
Come on Microsoft, you control the hardware and software now. I can't blame Dell or HP!