What's new

SP3 with i5 overheating

RapidA

Hi!
I received my SP3 (i5, 256GB) this week. After the first startup I had to install several Windows 8.1 updates (~1.2 GB). After starting the download and installation the fan goes up and the back is getting "very" warm. BUT shortly before updating is finished the SP3 shows me thermometer picture and shuts down! Is that normal? I didn't read anything about this issue on an i5 device. Just thought only i7 devices are affected.

InspectHerGadget

I have an i7 and it fine but evidently the quality control on the SP3 leaves a lot to be desired.

A HN salesman said that they sold 20 and 5 have been returned. Two were DOA and two had battery issues that resulted in current leakage and 'pins and needles' feelings in the hands, the fifth one, he didn't say.

It isn't really good and none of those were even of the problem you are having.

I'm fine, my one has no issues at all.

DeltaXray

When it is overheating, load up task manager. What is using CPU?

Some people have noticed a windows installer service chewing up a lot of CPU.

For me it was Metro Internet Explorer. But it died down when I switched to desktop, so I had to snap desktop side by side and keep IE open to see the CPU usage.

In the end I had to do a 'Refresh' for it to reinstall windows to resolve my overheating/high CPU issues. There was something really dodgy about the base image which came on my i5 unit and a refresh resolved pretty much all of them.

DeltaXray

A HN salesman said that they sold 20 and 5 have been returned. Two were DOA and two had battery issues that resulted in current leakage and 'pins and needles' feelings in the hands, the fifth one, he didn't say.

Is this when it is charging or running just from battery? When I plug it in to charge and touch the back of the device I feel vibrations/pins and needles when I move my hand over the casing but I also got this on iPad and MacBook Pro. Does not happen on battery.

I was told this is normal and is something to do with grounding.

DeltaXray

Did you just restore from the image that's on the SP3 or did you set it up from scratch?

I just used the refresh option in the settings so used the built in recovery image.

Defies logic really, you would have thought the image in the recovery partition would be the same as the one you boot when you first turn on the machine. But in my case, it was like a different machine after doing a refresh (and I did it on maybe the second day of ownership, no extra apps installed etc which could have caused a problem).

Definitely worth a try as it flushed out some bugs for myself and other people on here too, in fact it was someone else recommendation on here that prompted me to do it, saying it cleared out bugs for them.

Liam2349

Yesterday I had a problem with IE making my device warm, twice, but not sure why. Hopefully MS resolves it.

OP
R

RapidA

I just used the refresh option in the settings so used the built in recovery image.

Defies logic really, you would have thought the image in the recovery partition would be the same as the one you boot when you first turn on the machine. But in my case, it was like a different machine after doing a refresh (and I did it on maybe the second day of ownership, no extra apps installed etc which could have caused a problem).

Definitely worth a try as it flushed out some bugs for myself and other people on here too, in fact it was someone else recommendation on here that prompted me to do it, saying it cleared out bugs for them.

ah, great to hear that. I tried the same and already noticed afterwards that another issue I had before was gone (strange connection problem accessing my NAS).

unruledboy

43 updates within a short time, Microsoft is crazy.

use a big fan or air conditioner to blow while running windows update.