What's new

SP3 with i5 overheating

Liam2349

I've decided to try refreshing, because since yesterday, every time I use IE there is 25% CPU usage and the SP3 is running at 60-70C... with 3 tabs. Hopefully this solves the problem.

DeltaXray

ah, great to hear that. I tried the same and already noticed afterwards that another issue I had before was gone (strange connection problem accessing my NAS).

I also had an issue connecting to my NAS. It just wouldn't connect to any share via \\nas\share path. Weird, but the refresh did fix that.

DeltaXray

I've decided to try refreshing, because since yesterday, every time I use IE there is 25% CPU usage and the SP3 is running at 60-70C... with 3 tabs. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Are you running MUI IE or desktop version? If MUI version, then that was my problem also which refresh fixed.

fifl

My fan goes on after maximum 5 minutes of surfing in IE desktop, like now when I am writing this and I only have 3 tabs open and no other program. IE is using 10-25% cpu.
This is annoying, my SP2 never does this. There the fan only went on during gameplay like civ5
Both Versions are i5 128gb

DeltaXray

My fan goes on after maximum 5 minutes of surfing in IE desktop, like now when I am writing this and I only have 3 tabs open and no other program. IE is using 10-25% cpu.
This is annoying, my SP2 never does this. There the fan only went on during gameplay like civ5
Both Versions are i5 128gb

Have you tried a Refresh? Not saying that is the magic bullet but it has solved a lot of issues including IE CPU issues.

fifl

No, but my surface is only 3 days old. Should I try anyway? I have installed like 5 programs + Office pack and 5 apps
Btw now running 4 tabs and IE is using 900mb ram

Yes, there are a lot of people here who had these problems and a refresh did help. It sounded curious to me too but it helped, too. Try it and report back.

DeltaXray

No, but my surface is only 3 days old. Should I try anyway? I have installed like 5 programs + Office pack and 5 apps
Btw now running 4 tabs and IE is using 900mb ram

Yeah, I did it on perhaps 2nd day of ownership and no 3rd party apps installed and it resolved a lot of issues for me.

It seems they have borked the default build on these machines but the recovery image is OK.

bulls96

I think anytime the SP3 downloads huge files or updates, or transfers files, fan is expected to run.

HolF

What I found out on mine: When the Communications Service, (Microsofts MailApp) is active, the device gets a lot of cpu load and therefore heat, fan - the ususal...