What's new

SP4 Benchmarks

vxm

Those benchmarks look great so far- I wonder how will SP4 behave under heavy load- SP3 i7 has great performance for about 5minutes, then throttling was killing it. This is related to gaming, I didn't have any bigger issues with performance in Photoshop or Painter :)

leeshor

Anyone who didn't actually click on the link and go through everything needs to do that. Sp4 glows. Surface Book too.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those benchmarks look great so far- I wonder how will SP4 behave under heavy load- SP3 i7 has great performance for about 5minutes, then throttling was killing it. This is related to gaming, I didn't have any bigger issues with performance in Photoshop or Painter :)

The anandtech review goes into depth regarding sustained performance. Short answer, Whoooooooooooooo. It still throttles a little but it is looking very very good. Give it a read.

Will be interesting g to see what the sustained performance for say, gaming, compares between i5 and i7.

vxm

Yup, I'm eager to see how that goes, for now I'm mostly streaming to my SP3 from workstation if I want to play on sofa. I'll check aritcle once I'm back home, thanks for heads up regarding sustained performance!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks great I must say. However I don't game on my SP3 so it doesn't bother me. (Apart from one trying to stream Destiny from my Xbox with the controller attached to the Surface. The problem with that wasn't the surface it was my dodgy wifi!!

vxm

Streaming is tricky part, TBH, I never played any multiplayer on it, I figured all those miliseconds add up and I'm already far behind teen nerds, hehe. I'm upgrading to 250mb/s next month, but I'm not too enthusiastic, right now 40mb/s worked fine ping-wise at around 30ms, but wireless tends to have it's own lags and bottlenecks and even while playing some tank game I experienced sudden lag spikes from time to time- I'd imagine those would only add up while streaming.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks pretty clear, the SP4 has knocked it out of the park. The i5 & i7 models appear to be healthy upgrades to the SP3. I'm not seeing much of anything on the core m model though, good thing I ordered one. :) I had a feeling there wouldn't be a lot of focus on that.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding throttling or lack of throttling. The PCWorld Surface book review which includes benchmarks of both SB & SP4 seems to cover this.
Surface Book Review: Microsoft reimagines the laptop, and it's glorious

In our Handbrake Encode test, we transcoded a 30GB 1080p file to the Android Tablet profile. It’s a beefy test that has a CPU running at full load for almost two hours.

Both Surface Books turn in good scores here, but the edge for value goes to the Core i5 Surface Book. The Surface Book with the Core i7 CPU starts off at fairly high speed but settles down to about 2.95GHz for most of the run. The Surface Book with the Core i5 basically sits at 2.85GHz for most of its run. In the end, it’s probably a wash.

One thing you should note: With the CPU sandwiched into a sub-8mm chassis with an LCD panel on top of it, Microsoft doesn’t push the Core i7 in the Surface Book as hard as the Toshiba Radius 12 does.

On lengthy work loads, the Core i7 Surface Book doesn’t yield as much as advantage as you’d think over the Core i5 Surface Book due to heat.
The SP4 i7 is a different CPU than in the Surface Book with higher end GPU so it may be a little different. However, it there is still a significant jump from the SP3.

optical1

It looks pretty clear, the SP4 has knocked it out of the park. The i5 & i7 models appear to be healthy upgrades to the SP3. I'm not seeing much of anything on the core m model though, good thing I ordered one. :) I had a feeling there wouldn't be a lot of focus on that.
I'm very interested in the relative performance of the Core M model from a battery life performance tradeoff perspective. While I'm more inclined to purchase a higher spec'd model, I'm truly intrigued to see how well the skylake processors can perform in this capacity. What type of performance are you hoping for in comparison to S3 i3 or S4 i5?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What type of performance are you hoping for in comparison to S3 i3 or S4 i5?
The graph above in post #21 there's an Asus Core-M 5y10 shown, you also see i5 SP3 and S3 Atom. Generally the Core m3 6y30 should be a little better than the 5y10.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Comments on some benchmarks
Source: The Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Review: Raising The Bar

78112.png

Good luck iPad Pro, you'll need it. :)

This next one seems to be an anomaly as the SP4 generally out paces the SP3
78111.png

A bit more typical below
78110.png

So many devices left in the dust... hey, it's not that they don't work, you just have to wait longer while surfing the web. Good luck with that.

page 2:The Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Review: Raising The Bar

More of the same... near total domination.

Skylake is a beast! Surface Pro 4 unleashed the beast.