What's new

SP4 boot from USB gives ACPI_BIOS_ERROR

goks_raths

Hi,

I am trying to reimage my Surface Pro 4 with a custom Windows 10 .wim image. I have created a bootable USB (FAT32 formatted), disabled Secureboot , changed the boot order to boot from USB and rebooted the tablet. Upon reboot i get the blue screen with error "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" along with an error code ACPI_BIOS_ERROR and proceeds to restart to default Windows on the Surface Pro.

I was able to get in to the pre-boot environment using USB twice earlier but had to exit midway due to some other deployment issues and from 3rd time onwards this blue screen issue shows up without booting to USB. This behavior is seen on yet another Surface Pro 4 tablet as well.

Can someone help here?Has anyone else experienced the same issue before or know what is causing it?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have re-loaded Windows 10 about 4 times on my Surface Pro. The best way I have found is of course to do what you have done with the USB. Make sure its in FAT32, or ExFat file format - Rufus will allow you to do this, but I have only had luck with a smaller (16gb) USB drive.

1) Make for mentioned USB Drive using Rufus (ExFAT, FAT32) Make sure your file format is in those formats, sometimes Rufus will change it without notifying you. Yayy - loads of fun. But as you are aware, if its not in those formats, the Surface Pro won't recognize it (as a Boot drive), and won't load Windows.
2) Turn off PC and enter into BIOS mode using the Volume Up and Power Buttons. (Just do a web search, if you cannot find it let me know and will gladly pass along how to use these buttons to enter the BIOS). I have found that trying to use the Windows Advance Boot mode doesn't work, and will get you stuck in the useless boot / reboot mode.
3) Change the boot order to USB Drive, but of course make sure your USB Boot device is inserted before you enter the BIOS
4) Install Windows - Takes me about 11 mins on a USB 3.0
5) Updates - Make sure you allow Windows Update to install your Surface Drivers. I've found that if I jump ahead and install them, my Windows Update gets all messed up, and won't update. Odd - but as long as I allow Windows to update the Surface Drivers / Firmware - I have ZERO issues.

I found this link which covers USB / Booting the Surface Pro into the BIOS

Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Also - if you still are unable to load Windows - you may want to check your Windows ISO / Image file. Maybe try it out on another machine. Pardon me if you are certain its a good working USB Drive.

Last edited:
OP
G

goks_raths

Thanks Mike. That was a well detailed reply. A couple of queries, 1) Did you use the wim file for your deployment or was it ISO. i have a wim file and hence i am not able to use it through Rufus. Any suggestions? 2) Can you explain about the partition requirement for a SP4 if you are aware?

OP
G

goks_raths

Thanks Mike. That was a well detailed reply. A couple of queries, 1) Did you use the wim file for your deployment or was it ISO. i have a wim file and hence i am not able to use it through Rufus. Any suggestions? 2) Can you explain about the partition requirement for a SP4 if you are aware?

Cheers,
Gokul

I have re-loaded Windows 10 about 4 times on my Surface Pro. The best way I have found is of course to do what you have done with the USB. Make sure its in FAT32, or ExFat file format - Rufus will allow you to do this, but I have only had luck with a smaller (16gb) USB drive.

1) Make for mentioned USB Drive using Rufus (ExFAT, FAT32) Make sure your file format is in those formats, sometimes Rufus will change it without notifying you. Yayy - loads of fun. But as you are aware, if its not in those formats, the Surface Pro won't recognize it (as a Boot drive), and won't load Windows.
2) Turn off PC and enter into BIOS mode using the Volume Up and Power Buttons. (Just do a web search, if you cannot find it let me know and will gladly pass along how to use these buttons to enter the BIOS). I have found that trying to use the Windows Advance Boot mode doesn't work, and will get you stuck in the useless boot / reboot mode.
3) Change the boot order to USB Drive, but of course make sure your USB Boot device is inserted before you enter the BIOS
4) Install Windows - Takes me about 11 mins on a USB 3.0
5) Updates - Make sure you allow Windows Update to install your Surface Drivers. I've found that if I jump ahead and install them, my Windows Update gets all messed up, and won't update. Odd - but as long as I allow Windows to update the Surface Drivers / Firmware - I have ZERO issues.

I found this link which covers USB / Booting the Surface Pro into the BIOS

Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Also - if you still are unable to load Windows - you may want to check your Windows ISO / Image file. Maybe try it out on another machine. Pardon me if you are certain its a good working USB Drive.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member

Cheers,
Gokul

My Apologies for the ever so delayed response...For some reason this forum has stopped forwarding me emails when a new post arrives / is made. I will check my settings again. So here is my reply -

I hate to say this - but I got my .iso from a torrent website - I checked it thoroughly and its clean. I am not sure if or how you would convert your file type to .iso but I found this article really helpful - not sure if it works or not - How to Convert a WIM File to an ISO File | eHow You may not need to convert it, but yes in order to use Rufus, I do believe an .iso file is required. I would go ahead and convert it to an .iso. Processor dependent, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes and you have the file for good.

As far as the partition requirement - I set up mine to utilize the entire drive contents - then Windows will automatically use what it needs to install / run Windows. Its usually about 450 mbs set aside, and you'll never see it or fuss with it again. I hope this is helpful - if you dont mind, please chime in if your successful.