What's new

SP4 for business use.

bluegrass

Looks like you can't find any SP3s 8gig 512gig. Are SP4's reliable enough for business? Will be used all over the world. Mostly Internet, email, & Office 365. I support all the micros where I work. I'm not looking for a big headache.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a number of respected members on this forum who have deployed a number of sp4s in a business envirinment and experienced no serious issues.

I can't personally say from a business perspective, but I use mine every day for university, almost entirely as a tablet with pen, and it has been absolutely rock stable, other than the issues experienced as a result of continuing to be on the fast track insider program.

I recall some conflicting posts in a thread, but I guess the most important thing would be WiFi channel/band compatibility.

leeshor

I'm aware of one software company in Atlanta actively selling off their extensive collection of the original SPs and SP2s and deploying SP4s and Surface Books. No problems reported. Meeting with the IT manager tomorrow so he can pick my brain. ;)

Philtastic

I use my SP4 Core i5 8 GB RAM 256 GB for scientific research, drawing, 3D modelling, and some limited coding which means that I mostly use Office 2013, Adobe Creative Suite 5, Origin Labs curve fitting software, PyMol protein 3D structure visualization software, OneNote, Blender, Autodesk SketchBook, and Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Community. They all work fine except for Photoshop CS5 which has buggy stylus support (even with Wacom tablets of which I have the Intuos Pro Medium). An SP4 will eat Office 365 like it's nothing.

OP
B

bluegrass

Thank you guys. It's good to hear some positives about the SP4. I'm not going to be as worried about it after hearing what you all said. I know that a lot of people on the forum have reported problems with the various display drivers. I know my clients won't care or even know about the Intel driver that lets you have more control over the display. I'm pretty much of a believer in running the Surfaces with the drivers that come from Microsoft and also believe in employing the latest updates.

BTW, I've just finished upgrading about 20 laptops to W10 from W7. I got it down to a fairly easy routine now. If the laptop has a license key label for W7 o, I can use the USB thumb drive to do the upgrade which only takes about 30 minutes. If the laptop doesn't have a license key label than I do the upgrade from the Microsoft site and it takes about 45 minutes. The good news is that now the latest major updates come automatically with the upgrade. I still do updates right away to catch any new ones.