What's new

SP4 gaming performance videos

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Youtube videos from the previous posts show that the SP4 is surprisingly good at gaming... for a tablet this size. It appears that games released before 2012 run fluently with decent settings. Newer games (AAA ones) are way too much for the SP4. If I was stuck with only one device on a remote island and gaming was a second priority to me, I would pick the SP4. However, something like the New Razer Blade will blow it away. I'm really glad I pack my Blade along my SP3 whenever I travel.

You say that, yet i've seen even the SP2 playing gta 5 due to its lack of throttling. granted on the lowest setting, but the fact remains it was playable. I see no reason why the SP4 couldn't play some AAA on low settings.

masterpace

Well, this little SP4 surprising me more and more. 40 fps with Skyrim on high settings is something a Nvidia 650m would achieve, a top middle dedicated from three years ago. It seems like they've addressed the cooling vs throttling issue from SP3. I've decided to pull the trigger with some i5 256 GB SP4. Should get it tomorrow. Let's see what it has in terms of "guts" (of course, having reasonable expectations). When travelling, I might just carry that guy (SP4) in my carry on and leave the Razer Blade at home. I'm going to report back soon.

spinedoc77

Youtube videos from the previous posts show that the SP4 is surprisingly good at gaming... for a tablet this size. It appears that games released before 2012 run fluently with decent settings. Newer games (AAA ones) are way too much for the SP4. If I was stuck with only one device on a remote island and gaming was a second priority to me, I would pick the SP4. However, something like the New Razer Blade will blow it away. I'm really glad I pack my Blade along my SP3 whenever I travel.

I'd be bummed on that remote island when my battery ran out 4 hours into my 20 year stay.

MOFO

Hey OP I hope you can post a couple of vids showing what the SP4 with IRIS can do ! :)
Basically that's what I'm waiting for, was looking at the Surface Book but the price makes me cringe.
If the SP4 with IRIS has no issues with heat and throttling I will most likely get one.
Thanks.

MOFO

You know I would have thought I would never say this but even 800x600 gaming doesn't look as bad as I thought it would ;)
Considering how the HD 520 games at a pretty decent level just makes me see want to see what the i7 with HD 540 handles the same games.
I really hope they fixed the throttling issues that the i7 SP3 had.

Tubbo

Don't let the 540 fool you. That's an IRIS 540 not HD, so the extra performance comes from the architecture and not the clock rate. If the thermals are good on the i5, the that i7 will give you similar thermals but with increased performance.