What's new

Sp4 i7 gaming with fan and without

josher14

Hey everyone..

I made a lot of i5 gaming videos that got posted here and just traded it in for the i7..

I will post some of my i7 vids here if that's cool with the mods (if not just check my youtube same username) and I would also like to get some feedback to see if anyone else has gotten fallout 4 or battlefront to run on the i7 as I haven't before or after the December 2 patch

Thanks!

Josher

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum @josher14

If the videos are not in accordance with the forum guidelines be assured they won't be on the forum long. ;);) j/k

OP
J

josher14

FPS and resolution and settings are always in the description if not mentioned in the videos

And i'm using a honeywell ht900 fan which was $20 and is set on low

And if you have any suggestions on games to see how they run just let me know!

josher

Zkyevolved

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both devices will perform exactly the same since the biggest differentiation in gaming is based on the graphics card? I can get 10 i7s working in conjunction but without a good graphics card, maybe my old desktop from 10 years ago with an awesome graphics card will out perform...

OP
J

josher14

@zkevolved the sp4 i5 has intel hd 520 graphics which relies heavily on system ram.. the sp4 i7 has intel iris 540 graphics which also has 64mb of edram which does make a big difference... so yes while they can both run light games like league of legends really well, when it comes to battlefield and the like you get a difference of around 10fps which I found is big enough to justify keeping the i7..

Zkyevolved

@zkevolved the sp4 i5 has intel hd 520 graphics which relies heavily on system ram.. the sp4 i7 has intel iris 540 graphics which also has 64mb of edram which does make a big difference... so yes while they can both run light games like league of legends really well, when it comes to battlefield and the like you get a difference of around 10fps which I found is big enough to justify keeping the i7..

Forgive me, I stand completely corrected. I forgot the i7 had a better graphics chip! :) You're absolutely right! I thought the processor and ram was the only difference.

let me know if u get fallout 4 working. Only game I'm playing right now and I wouldn't mind doing maintenance in the game on the surface4 i7. Meaning, I probably wouldn't do quests if the FPS isn't high enough, but should be well enough to just do bartering and stuff.

MOFO

Thanks josher14!
Watched all your i5 SP4 videos and like what I see with the i7 so far, it's bit unfortunate that you need some sort of fan to get more performance but that's easily fixed with a cheap usb fan.
So exactly how much does the fan help and in your opinion is it needed at all?
Does under volting help ? How is battery life compared to the i5 ?
Only reason I ask is to see if the i7 model is really worth the money and get an idea how much better it is for gaming.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone create a table with all this info??? ... game title, settings, i5/i7, fps wo fan, fps w fan. Etc.

OP
J

josher14

using the fan usually helps maintain 5-10fps higher than without the fan.. and i'm not into undervolting so i'll leave it to the other tinkerers to have fun with that.. apparently it does help but not as much as having a fan lol..

and if you ask me i think the $300 difference between the i5 and i7 with 8gb and 256ssd is totally worth it.. i'd rather have more horsepower and better graphics...

i haven't had enough realworld use with the battery but it seems to be about the same as the i5 during my limited use (as long as you have it set to hibernate and not sleep)

-josher

MOFO

Thanks for your input josher.
What kind of fan do you use? Bendable USB fan?
Just trying to figure out a good portable solution.

OP
J

josher14

a lot of people on the reddit forums swear by the arctic breeze portable usb fan.. it's only 7$ and its on amazon... I use the Honeywell ht900 and its $20 and portable enough to throw in a duffelbag and take to your friends but I wouldn't take it on a roadtrip unless I was also going into a hot climate lol